Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg was carbonated 2 wks, then went flat? (pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #31
spaceyaquarius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, overcarbing does make a beer flat. Weird, I know.

But what happens is the co2 is "knocked" out of solution on the way to the tap. That makes a big foamy head (or a whole glass of foam) that is comprised of co2. When the foam dies down, the underlying beer is lacking the co2 due to it coming out of the beer during dispensing (creating the foam). In that case, a flat tasting and feeling beer is indeed due to overcarbonation and serving with a line unable to handle that carb level (ie lines too short for that carbonation level).
That's a theory that seems to fit the facts. I know I said that the PSI was set at 10 PSI, but in reality, it was set at 10 PSI for 10 days (it was totally flat) and then for 2 days I jacked it up to 15 PSI, and then turned it back down to 10 PSI. I didn't shake or rock the keg.

Looking at the graph below from the sticky in the kegging forum, maybe the carbonation was traveling up like the green line, I turned it up to 15, causing a jump in the volumes of carbonation (red line), but the overcarbing didn't really kick in until the 9th glass? The 1st 8 glasses had perfect head (1 to 1.5 inches) and perfect carbonation and good taste. The 9th glass had tons of head (2.5-3 inches) and perfect carbonation. The 11th glass had tons of head (3-4 inches) and not enough bubbles.

The next morning the 1st glass tasted good again, but then the 2nd was flat and acidic tasting again and it never got better after that.

So if the beer lines were pulling carbonation out of the beer before it hits the glass, then by the time I thought the keg was ready for drinking, it was nearly overcarbed and then became overcarbed in the next few hours? I was also shooting for 3.0 carbonation (for a Belgian Wheat) but that may be a mistake. I should shoot for 2.0 until I can get this right.

That makes sense, since the keg was not leaking and the diptube and connections were all completely clean.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #32
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 589 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Even If you carbed it to 15 psi at 37F, that's only 2.9 vol. That's barely outside the realm of an American wheat, still way lower than a Euro wheat. Ill bet you're actually in the 2.7 vol range.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 04-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #33
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well, something definitely went wrong. The wheat was not steeped above 160 F so it wasn't a tannis taste, there was no leak in the keg, the diptube and posts were not gunked up. It has to be a carbonation issue.

I guess there is a possibility that the gauge is not reading correctly. If it is giving a PSI reading that is lower than actual, then it could overcarb. Is is common for a CO2 gayge to not read correctly when inside a fridge?

This is my setup.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #34
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Now I really think that the CO2 gauge is not reading correctly. I have overcarbed 5 batches of kegged beer. Then when I bottle the same type of beer, brewed even on the same day, it has no acidic/bite aftertaste.

It is definitely an overcarbing problem (not the diptube or beer lines [new 10' 3/16" vinyl lines]).

My new overcarbed batch was set at 13 PSI for 3 weeks and got overcarbed. Has to be the gauge I believe. Will set the PSI to 7 or 8 PSI next time and see what happens.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #35
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceyaquarius
Now I really think that the CO2 gauge is not reading correctly. I have overcarbed 5 batches of kegged beer. Then when I bottle the same type of beer, brewed even on the same day, it has no acidic/bite aftertaste.

It is definitely an overcarbing problem (not the diptube or beer lines [new 10' 3/16" vinyl lines]).

My new overcarbed batch was set at 13 PSI for 3 weeks and got overcarbed. Has to be the gauge I believe. Will set the PSI to 7 or 8 PSI next time and see what happens.
Could very well be. You can bleed the pressure off and see how it is ... Unless those kegs are now empty?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #36
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Bleeding off now...tasting better. Must have been a faulty gauge reading.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #37
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Resolution:

Combination of a faulty gauge (which was reading lower than actual PSI), and impatience (the beer was also too young).

Replaced the gauge, and now I force carb for 3-4 weeks with the "set it and forget it" method instead of 1-2 weeks.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Quick Reply