Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg carbonate and condition outside of a fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
Brewlicious
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
You can store it uncarbonated. I don't believe you will get the same affects of the aging period as you would if it was carbonated (some of the flavour changes require the prescense of CO2 I believe). Just be sure to completely purge the headspace of air after you seal up the keg.

You don't not need to keep the gas connected to store the keg once it is carbonated. Unless there is a leak in your keg it will not lose any carbonation during aging.

So, if I understand you correctly I can hook up the gas to an uncarbonated keg (cooled in the kegerator of course) and let the keg carbonate, after which I can take the now carbonated keg off the gas and store it outside the fridge, say at room temp. Then, at a later point, when I hook the keg back up to the gas in the kegerator it will have the same carbonation that it had when I first carbonated it, hence, it will be ready to drink?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewlicious
So, if I understand you correctly I can hook up the gas to an uncarbonated keg (cooled in the kegerator of course) and let the keg carbonate, after which I can take the now carbonated keg off the gas and store it outside the fridge, say at room temp. Then, at a later point, when I hook the keg back up to the gas in the kegerator it will have the same carbonation that it had when I first carbonated it, hence, it will be ready to drink?
Yup. Though you don't need to carbonate the keg at kegerator temperatures, you can do it outside the kegerator, it just needs to be done at a higher pressure.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply