Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg to bottle question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
pavlovsdog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keg to bottle question...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much in advanced for your collective insight! Anyways, here is the scenario...

About 7 months ago I kegged some brown ale and force carbonated. I drank about two pints, and then a leak in the keg caused my CO2 to run out, and the beer went flat. I have been pretty lazy about this keg, and it has just been sitting in the kegerator flat for the last 7 months. Now, my buddies want me to have some bottled beer ready for a wedding, and I wondered if I could just prime what was in this keg and then bottle it. Does anyone see any problem with this? Will the yeast still be viable since it has been in a cold refrigerator for so long? Any issues with oxidation?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
kirscp
Recipes 

Why not force carb it again, taste it to make sure it is still good, then spend $5.00 and make your own bottle filler, bottle from the keg.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have used a beer gun back in the day and it works great. 7 months is a while, force carb and see what it taste like. Or brew another batch and fix the leak.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would definitely taste it, as since it had a leak, it means the beer is being exposed to air... How soon is the wedding?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
madewithchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

CO2 is heavier than oxygen, so it MAY have had a blanket of CO2 guarding against the O2.

But 7 months is a long time and tasting it seems like a good idea.

But as for the yeast, I think there should be SOME yeast still around, but I would re-pitch the yeast.

How do you forget about a keg of beer for 7 months? If it were in the fermentor I could understand. But once my beer reaches the keg I can not forget about it.

Damn underage beer is always taunting me. "Come here Joe you know you want to have a good time. We may be a little too young for you but you know you want to tap that. Come on, please. I feel great going down and no one has to know about it"

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madewithchicken View Post
"Come here Joe you know you want to have a good time. We may be a little too young for you but you know you want to tap that. Come on, please. I feel great going down and no one has to know about it"
WOW... I almost feel the need to put that on the memorable quotes page...

Oh wait, you were talking about beer?

Quick Reply