New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg to bottle extended time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
SciencePig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Keg to bottle extended time

First, I have read several threads on the forum and watched a few videos on this topic. And from my keg I use the long food grade tubing to get the brew in to the bottle. The carb lasts for a while maybe 24 hours tops. For me that is normally OK. This batch is going with me on a road trip so I am a looking for some advice or thoughts on my idea.

I plan on carbing the beer in a keg with priming sugar 5 gallons. This will allow some good aging to take affect and provide a little more sweetness to the batch. That being said I plan on filling about six 12oz bottles to take with me on a trip that will last 2 days and go through about two different climates. I was thinking that after I conditioned the keg I could transfer to the bottle and drop one or two carb tabs in the bottle then cap it. Would that cause issues on flavor or cause over carbonation?

What are some other methods anyone else may have up their sleeve for transporting the brew. Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you're keg is carbed, and you're filling the bottles full (normal full, like 2 inches of air in the neck), and you're capping them tight...you should not have the carb vanishing, ever. I drop the pressure in my keg to 5psi or so, purge it and drop pressure I should say, and put a sanitized bottle directly on the tap, at an angle, pull the tap and done. Cap it as normal, good to go for weeks or months on end, never an issue.

Avoid foaming at all costs as it just wastes beer and takes up precious room, which reduces the carb once it dies down and equalizes. Chill the bottles in advance to help that, if needbe.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
Fortuneteller
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych View Post
If you're keg is carbed, and you're filling the bottles full (normal full, like 2 inches of air in the neck), and you're capping them tight...you should not have the carb vanishing, ever. I drop the pressure in my keg to 5psi or so, purge it and drop pressure I should say, and put a sanitized bottle directly on the tap, at an angle, pull the tap and done. Cap it as normal, good to go for weeks or months on end, never an issue.

Avoid foaming at all costs as it just wastes beer and takes up precious room, which reduces the carb once it dies down and equalizes. Chill the bottles in advance to help that, if needbe.
+1. I use beirmunchers method though, and it works great. Defiantly chill bottles first. It will save you a lot of hassle.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
chickypad
lupulin shift victim

Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 95

As others have pointed out, if bottled properly from the keg they should stay carbonated indefinitely. You other option would be to bottle a few with carb drops at kegging time. Just do one or the other, don't double carb unless you want to be traveling with potential bombs!

Also, the priming sugar is not going to add any sweetness to the brew. It will be completely fermented out. To back sweeten you'd need to add an unfermentable sugar like lactose.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
SciencePig
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks all for the replies.

Bottle: Oktoberfest

Quick Reply