Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg or bottle....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
gumpbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Keg or bottle....

I have a black ale that is ready to be bottled. My keezer will be done in a week or 2. I would just assume keg it, but I have no regulator or co2. Is it bad to let it sit in the keg without co2? I could let it sit in fermenter longer, but I dry hopped it and just assume get it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
gumpbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Regulator didn't get shipped with order, will have it and co2 in a week. I'm assuming it will be Ok in a keg until then? Providing I can get a good seal on the keg without pressure?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Genuine
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you can get the CO2 and regulator in the near future, do that. The good part about kegging is that it's easy and once the beer has been racked to the keg, you an purge out the oxygen with the CO2 and it's the safest place for the beer. You probably wont want it in the keg, with the layer of oxygen on top.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
gumpbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genuine View Post
If you can get the CO2 and regulator in the near future, do that. The good part about kegging is that it's easy and once the beer has been racked to the keg, you an purge out the oxygen with the CO2 and it's the safest place for the beer. You probably wont want it in the keg, with the layer of oxygen on top.
Forgot about the oxygen.... 5-7 days is probably too long?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
seckert
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I wouldnt leave it in there for that long on O2. Do you know anyone that might let you get a couple hits of CO2 to ensure your beer is safe?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
gumpbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckert View Post
I wouldnt leave it in there for that long on O2. Do you know anyone that might let you get a couple hits of CO2 to ensure your beer is safe?
I could leave it in the fermenter for a few more days... Been dry hopped for 4 days now, will it make a huge difference?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
seckert
Recipes 

I dont think so...remember though that the longer the beer sits the hops tend to mellow out.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
jmcquesten
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts

Maybe you could put it in the keg with some priming sugar and let it start keg conditioning? It might be naturally carbonated by the time the regular shows up and just require cooling and serving pressure co2. If oxygen is a concern, wait a day or two and release a little pressure from the keg, I would guess that would purge the o2. Leave it at room temperature to keep the yeast happy. Also, for some reason, it almost seems like natural carbonation (keg conditioned) dissolves in solution better than forced co2, but that's probably just my misconception.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
seckert
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcquesten View Post
Maybe you could put it in the keg with some priming sugar and let it start keg conditioning? It might be naturally carbonated by the time the regular shows up and just require cooling and serving pressure co2. If oxygen is a concern, wait a day or two and release a little pressure from the keg, I would guess that would purge the o2. Leave it at room temperature to keep the yeast happy. Also, for some reason, it almost seems like natural carbonation (keg conditioned) dissolves in solution better than forced co2, but that's probably just my misconception.
Question here...if you naturally carb in a keg and then go to serve. wont the first couple glasses be full of yeast that dropped out?

Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
snowveil
that guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

As jmcquestion said, just prime it with sugar and keg it.

Beer sitting in a keg uncarbonated is no different than beer sitting in a secondary uncarbonated. If you've got a good seal on the keg it will carbonate just fine. Worst case scenario, the priming sugar gets fermented and you're still left with a blanket of co2 over the top of the beer.

Yes, your first pint will have yeast in it...but is it really a big deal? Just pour it into a glass, dump it down the drain, and you're ready to go. The yeast will drop out of suspension once it's had some time in the keezer anyway.

Quick Reply