Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg to bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Keg to bottle?

I'm thinking of joining a local brew club. This means I'd need to bring some beer in bottles to the meetings. Right now I don't bottle at all, just keg and force carb.

Probably not likely, but is it possible to pour kegged beer into bottles and cap them? I'm thinking of getting some Grolsch style bottles if this idea works. but I imagine there will be air in the bottles that will oxidize the beer.

I'm just glad to have put bottling behind me, but it'd be nice to have some beer I can transport and share.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

No, you don't want to pour into bottles. The foaming would be terrible.

You can either use a tube into your faucet, like brewpubs do, to fill a growler. If you want to bottle for gifts or competitions, you can do the BMBF method- the Biermuncher Bottle Filler (see the thread "we no need no stinking beer gun").

Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

I use a picnic tap with no tubing and carefully pour down the side of the bottle at like 1 psi. With cold beer and bottles, I can do this with almost no foam.

For drinking the same night, that is it. For competitions I purge the bottles with c02 first (using a spring tip bottle filler).

This is the same method promulgated by Mike "Tasty" McDole.

I also own a CPBF that I use if I am doing a bunch of bottles from the same keg.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
shagger
Recipes 

check this out[URL="http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/"]

Old 08-26-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
earlytimes
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm with remillard. Just release almost all the pressure from the keg first. If it starts pouring too slowly, give it a shot or two of gas and you'll be back in business. It's certainly worth a try before you buy a beer gun or spend time rigging up some contraption, which is what I tried first. Turning the pressure way down and pouring straight into the bottle works best for me. YMMV.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

A soda bottle with a carbonater cap is going to be more consistent since you can replace the carbonation lost when filling, but filling chilled glass bottles with a bottling wand (sans valve) stuck in a picnic tap works ok. BMBF if you need more than a couple bottles filled; it reduces spillover loss.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Biermuncher's method is the way to go. I've done it many times and it always works beautifully. The best part is that you don't have to wonder how carb'ed your beer is. So great.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I know one thing... if there's a depression and beer companies go out of business... I'm selling my homebrew.
Huckleberry Brewing

Pride of the Northside

Quick Reply