Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > keezer size - between a rock and a hard place.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
techbrewie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Default keezer size - between a rock and a hard place.

Hey all,
So I'm building myself a keezer. After a year of bottling beer, enough is enough dangit. Now when it comes to DIY projects I am strictly a go big or go home type of guy. It's going to be a coffin style keezer /w a 4 tap system to start and a nice home made cabinet shell, whos design is still in progress. Im definitely drawing inspiration from other keezer builds on the forums here.

So i had too many home brews the other night and pulled the trigger on all of the draught equipment one would need to build a 4 tap system, including a dual pressure regulator for when I inevitably start brewing stouts. All in all about an $800 investment.

Now I need to buy a freezer and I just cant decide what size I want. Price isn't a huge issue but I'm looking to get something quiet that will last me a good long time. My biggest hurdle though is size. Do i go with the 13 cu/ft that fits six taps snugly /w 1-2 Co2 cylinders? or do i go with a 14.8 that will allow me to eventually run a 6 tap system (4 ale - 2 lager/stout) + 2 spots for conditioning my annual hard cider/graff experiments. OR do i just go with a an 8.8 cu/ft because 20 gallons of beer on tap at any one time is more than enough for a single guy in a 720 sq ft apt. I'm leaning towards the 14.8 because if Im putting all this work and money into it, it should be capable of expanding to any needs i might have. what are your two cents?

fyi. brand new to the forums, long time lurker. I love this place!

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
techbrewie
Recipes 

p.s. if anyone is interested in the draught system I put together I can link you the google doc that lists all of the components as well as links to all the product pages + prices per unit and extended prices before/after shipping. a lot of research and price shopping went into it, and i'm pretty happy with it so far.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
kcbeersnob
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My vote will almost always be in favor of scalability, so the 15 cu. ft. freezer is the way to go IMO. That's the way I went recently.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Wife talked me into 20cf and a 12tap coffin 16 kegs cold

Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
techbrewie
Recipes 

haha thats what you call a keeper :-)

Old 11-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
homebrewbeliever

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by techbrewie
Hey all,
So I'm building myself a keezer. After a year of bottling beer, enough is enough dangit. Now when it comes to DIY projects I am strictly a go big or go home type of guy. It's going to be a coffin style keezer /w a 4 tap system to start and a nice home made cabinet shell, whos design is still in progress. Im definitely drawing inspiration from other keezer builds on the forums here.

So i had too many home brews the other night and pulled the trigger on all of the draught equipment one would need to build a 4 tap system, including a dual pressure regulator for when I inevitably start brewing stouts. All in all about an $800 investment.

Now I need to buy a freezer and I just cant decide what size I want. Price isn't a huge issue but I'm looking to get something quiet that will last me a good long time. My biggest hurdle though is size. Do i go with the 13 cu/ft that fits six taps snugly /w 1-2 Co2 cylinders? or do i go with a 14.8 that will allow me to eventually run a 6 tap system (4 ale - 2 lager/stout) + 2 spots for conditioning my annual hard cider/graff experiments. OR do i just go with a an 8.8 cu/ft because 20 gallons of beer on tap at any one time is more than enough for a single guy in a 720 sq ft apt. I'm leaning towards the 14.8 because if Im putting all this work and money into it, it should be capable of expanding to any needs i might have. what are your two cents?

fyi. brand new to the forums, long time lurker. I love this place!
IMO, go big or go home is the way to go indeed. I built my keezer out of a 25 cu. ft. upright freezer. The thing is 6 feet tall, but damnit, it fits 7 corny kegs and a 10 lb CO2 tank, which is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

Old 11-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
mh-brews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=beaksnbeer;4577470]Wife talked me into 20cf and a 12tap coffin 16 kegs cold [/QUOTE

If you have the spac go big. With more room you can keep extra kegs cold that you want to age

find us on face book MH-BREWS

Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
mh-brews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=beaksnbeer;4577470]Wife talked me into 20cf and a 12tap coffin 16 kegs cold [/QUOTE

If you have the spac go big. With more room you can keep extra kegs cold that you want to age

find us on face book MH-BREWS

Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Plus if a keg kicks only takes 1 minute to flush the line and tap is back up and running.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Dave37
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 383 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I am definitely curious to see all the progress you make as well as where you got your parts and for how much etc, that would be great as I'm always curious to see various builds. I am looking to purchase a freezer myself and eventually do a Keezer build. I'm subscribed and best of luck with your build.

Quick Reply