Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > keezer, ranco controller, durability question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
dapozer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default keezer, ranco controller, durability question

For those that go this route how durable is it. The ranco being a non proportional t-state means it powers on and off (like plugging in and out) the refrigeration unit. does this cause stress on the parts? Also what temp difference do you program. I am very familiar with the ranco as i use them on my snake tanks, just want to know what it does to the refrig unit. is there a better t stat? what temps doe you set freezer at? can freezer actually be turned down to acceptable levels and go without t stat?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
kmat123
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Cycling a freezer on and off with a temp. controller does place some stress on the compressor, but if you have a newer chest freezer this shouldn't be much of a problem. If you are planning on using a chest freezer you will need a temp controller as even on the warmest setting you will still be below freezing. Most of us have our serving temps set between 38-45 degrees F.

Empire Brewing - Bend, OR
http://empirebrewing.wordpress.com/

Fermenting: Guv'nor ESB
Kegged: Ominous Black Ale, Molotov IRA, 2011 Below Zero Barleywine, Cream Dream Stout, Amarillo IPA, Apfelwein

Old 02-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I see it as a non issue. The freezer built in t-stat does the same thing.

Quick Reply