Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keezer question from noob...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
RGH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keezer question from noob...

I have narrowed it down to the freezer I wanted and have been allotted a $500 budget from SWMBO under the conditions that I keep a cider in the keezer for her to pull from when she feels like it. So the kit I plan on is:

A 6.8cf by holiday (motivated by this link http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/ Thanks to the infamous EdWort)

and a 3 keg setup seen here Brew Logic Triple Tap Draft System with 3-way gas manifold, NEW Aluminum Tank :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

After viewing Bobby M's amazing youtube videos I decided that eventually I would like put a collar on it and throw some taps on instead of the picnic taps (once I give the plastic a chance to cooldown and SWMBO a chance to settle) The question that I have is, Has anyone put a collar on this freezer before? I noticed what looks like a catch on the tub of the freezer (see Mustangfreaks pic in EdWorts post here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/) would that hinder a collar?

My next question is, what is better or are they the same: Gas regulator or gas manifold?

it is my assumption that a regulator would allow you to adjust the PSI individually on all three kegs as where a manifold would allow you to turn the gas off or on each keg individually. We all know what happens when you assume... but am I correct on this?

I would like to score all of this equipment before I leave for Vilseck because I dont know what it will cost me once I get there.

Also I was wondering if a thermostat is absolutely necessary. If so I need to brace myself for the "its absolutely necessary" talk with SWMBO in order to get the OK for the potential extra funds.

end of discussion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
Pi Kapp Beer Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok so i'm know expert as i am working on my Keezer as well. If you mean a thermostat as in a temperatur controller such as a johnson than yes. Otherwise it is still a frezzer and not a fridge. Regulators and manifolds? A regulator is necessary if to limit the amount CO2 comming out of the tank. As far as a manifold i am pretty sure you can use one for everything but it may require more work when trying to force carb a keg. ( A lot of turning off and on certain kegs depending on whats being carbed and whats being poured. I personnaly am going woth a double regulator for force carbing and pouring (more Control) Also i am getting a manifold for pouring multiple kegs.

If this lacks any sense ..... sorr i had a few

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply