LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
ExHempKnight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Keezer insulation

Just an idea...

I know a fridge or freezer is more efficient when it's full (more thermal mass). I've heard of people filling a partially full freezer with Styrofoam to make it more efficient. This gave me an idea.

I'm building a 4-corny keezer, and was pondering making a foam insert for it. The insert would basically fill the whole keezer, with a hole to hold each corny, and another for the CO2 bottle.

I think that in addition to helping the keezer be more efficient, I'm thinking this would also help reduce stratification. I know I could accomplish this by using a fan inside the keezer, but sometimes I like taking a different approach.

Thoughts?

"Drilling more holes than we need to, since 2010."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExHempKnight View Post
Just an idea...

I know a fridge or freezer is more efficient when it's full (more thermal mass). I've heard of people filling a partially full freezer with Styrofoam to make it more efficient. This gave me an idea.

I'm building a 4-corny keezer, and was pondering making a foam insert for it. The insert would basically fill the whole keezer, with a hole to hold each corny, and another for the CO2 bottle.

I think that in addition to helping the keezer be more efficient, I'm thinking this would also help reduce stratification. I know I could accomplish this by using a fan inside the keezer, but sometimes I like taking a different approach.

Thoughts?
Is styrofoam much thermal mass? It seems to be mostly air anyway. If I was looking to go to the extreme here...why wouldn't you just fill the keezer with water?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply