Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Bottling/Kegging (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/)
-   -   Keezer Diamond plating and Appliance paint: white to black (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keezer-diamond-plating-appliance-paint-white-black-102801/)

WhiskeyScroggins 02-11-2009 01:04 AM

Keezer Diamond plating and Appliance paint: white to black
 
So I'm in the process of building a keezer (isn't everyone it seems?) and had some cosmetic questions.

The freezer I got off CL is a 7.x cf GE that I'll fit 4 kegs in. Anyway, it's been in someones garage for a couple years and has a few scratches, etc.

1) Has anyone painted a white freezer black?
I bought some metal primer and some appliance high gloss black. Both are sprays. Any tips, thoughts, etc? I'm just wondering what the chances are of it coming out looking ok. Any experiences with appliance painting would be appreciated.

2) Diamond plate
So I followed a link I found somewhere to some really thin .024 inch thick diamond plate that comes in 4 or 6 inch widths and pretty much as long as I'd want it. It also comes in a few colors (black chrome, red chrome, etc). It's pretty cheap too, and shipping was only coming out to $7.

How do you think this would look attached to the collar? I was basically thinking of buying whichever diameter I go with for my collar and then rather than trying to mitre the wood I could just liquid nail this around the collar as one seamless piece? Then I could drill my shank holes, etc?

Here's the link to the diamond plate I was looking at: AVAILABLE COLORS GALLERY - COLORED DIAMOND PLATE

Really would appreciate some opinions on this one as I really don't want this to end up looking all ghetto fabulous, but something is making me want to try it?

Am I crazy?

ShortSnoutBrewing 02-11-2009 01:11 AM

I've painted mine black from white. It scratches pretty easy, but is easy to touch up as well. Also, paint it outside. Paint stinks!

Pete08 02-11-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyScroggins (Post 1125702)
So I'm in the process of building a keezer (isn't everyone it seems?) and had some cosmetic questions.

The freezer I got off CL is a 7.x cf GE that I'll fit 4 kegs in. Anyway, it's been in someones garage for a couple years and has a few scratches, etc.

1) Has anyone painted a white freezer black?
I bought some metal primer and some appliance high gloss black. Both are sprays. Any tips, thoughts, etc? I'm just wondering what the chances are of it coming out looking ok. Any experiences with appliance painting would be appreciated.

2) Diamond plate
So I followed a link I found somewhere to some really thin .024 inch thick diamond plate that comes in 4 or 6 inch widths and pretty much as long as I'd want it. It also comes in a few colors (black chrome, red chrome, etc). It's pretty cheap too, and shipping was only coming out to $7.

How do you think this would look attached to the collar? I was basically thinking of buying whichever diameter I go with for my collar and then rather than trying to mitre the wood I could just liquid nail this around the collar as one seamless piece? Then I could drill my shank holes, etc?

Here's the link to the diamond plate I was looking at: AVAILABLE COLORS GALLERY - COLORED DIAMOND PLATE

Really would appreciate some opinions on this one as I really don't want this to end up looking all ghetto fabulous, but something is making me want to try it?

Am I crazy?

If you are anywhere near a larger town or city, check to see if their is a metal sales yard. They should stock diamond plate, I'm assuming you are referring to AL plate, as opposed to SS; I would guess it to be reasonable, and no shipping. You might find some suitable pieces in their scrap bin, that goes for scrap price!!! Just my $ .02

I guess if you want colored pieces, you probably won't find it in a metal yard. If you want to experiment with sulfuric acid, a battery charger, a lead anode, and RID fabric dye, you could anodize it any color you want! Admittedly, a bit involved for a few pieces.

Gregredic 02-11-2009 01:29 AM

If you decide to go the paint route there are a few things to help the paint be smoother and more durable. First off, scuff all painted surfaces with a fine grit stand paper. This will give the primer a little more to grab ahold of. This leads to the second point...BE SURE TO USE PRIMER. You can get a gray primer which will help the black cover better. The best kind of spray paint for this application will be epoxy. When you go to apply the paint (and primer), be sure to do several THIN coats. Don't try to get a solid color with the first coat. If you are patient with it, this will lead to a stronger finish and will help prevent runs. Lastly, if you do decide to spray paint the keezer, keep in mind the part of the gasket that you can see from the outside will still be white. No paint will stick to that stuff, so don't even try.

jcalisi 02-11-2009 01:37 AM

I just painted mine with Rust-oleum black epoxy appliance paint from Home depot for about $16 (3 cans) 7 cf freezer and it turned out really well. It had some rusting scratches and dents. I just hand sanded and then wiped it down with some spirits. Once it dried I applied the paint. like stated above make sure you do it outside on a non-windy day. Also, make sure you only wait about 30 minutes between coats or you will have to wait for it to fully cure before you apply another coat.

When applying the paint do long overlapping coats. I would point the can about 2" to the left of the freezer and hold it down then smoothly go across until you 2" on the other side and repeat until done. I held the can about 6 - 7" away from the spraying surface but you may have to adjust distance and speed to ensure you don't get any runs.

don't ask how I know :( I was in a hurry when I painted my wood collar with it...

good luck

Jewrican 02-11-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilted Brewer (Post 1125725)
I've painted mine black from white. It scratches pretty easy, but is easy to touch up as well. Also, paint it outside. Paint stinks!

+1

i went from white to black with appliance spray paint but it does scratch pretty easily

robbyg 10-28-2010 04:09 PM

I'm planning to go this route with the freezer I just picked up, but I had a couple of questions about the painting process:

1. White freezers have white seals around the lid. Did you paint the seal with the epoxy paint, paint it with something else, replace it with a different seal, or does it look okay with a black freezer and a white seal?

2. My freezer has the condenser coil on the back. How has someone/anyone else tackled painting around/through/over this?

Cottonmouth 10-24-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyg (Post 2368239)
I'm planning to go this route with the freezer I just picked up, but I had a couple of questions about the painting process:

1. White freezers have white seals around the lid. Did you paint the seal with the epoxy paint, paint it with something else, replace it with a different seal, or does it look okay with a black freezer and a white seal?

2. My freezer has the condenser coil on the back. How has someone/anyone else tackled painting around/through/over this?

Did you ever find anything that would stick to the white seal to make it black?


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.