Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
weeple2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Keezer cycle times

Hi,

I am curious as to how long my keezer should be cycling. I wired the ever popular STC-1000 temp controller. At first I measured air temp with 1 degree variance, it cycled in 20 minutes with the compressor running for 1.5 minutes. I read a bit, and decided it must be cycling too quickly. So I insulated the probe to a water bottle, probably about 20 oz. I changed the differential to 3 degrees and set it a bit cooler. Now it cycles for 4 hours and 45 minutes with the compressor running for 28 minutes.

Do I need to find a happy medium? I could change the variance and keep the water bottle.

I am asking because it seems that cycle times and compressor running times determine the life of the actual freezer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeple2000 View Post
Hi,

I am curious as to how long my keezer should be cycling. I wired the ever popular STC-1000 temp controller. At first I measured air temp with 1 degree variance, it cycled in 20 minutes with the compressor running for 1.5 minutes. I read a bit, and decided it must be cycling too quickly. So I insulated the probe to a water bottle, probably about 20 oz. I changed the differential to 3 degrees and set it a bit cooler. Now it cycles for 4 hours and 45 minutes with the compressor running for 28 minutes.

Do I need to find a happy medium? I could change the variance and keep the water bottle.

I am asking because it seems that cycle times and compressor running times determine the life of the actual freezer.
I taped my probe to a water bottle and have my diff set to 3?F (~1.5?C), and it cycles once every ~4hrs and runs for ~20-25 min. Your cycle times and compressor run times seem fine to me. You could probably drop the diff to have tighter control if you wanted to, but leaving it as is certainly isn't hurting anything or decreasing the life of the compressor.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 03-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would leave the probe attached to the bottle but lower temp diff to 1 or 2 degrees. Your not harming the compressor either way. Also make sure the compressor delay is set to 10-12 minutes.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Your cycle time will change once you have thermal mass inside. Mine dropped to about 5-7 minute run time every 2-4 hours depending on the ambient temperature if I open the top change kegs etc. I have 12 kegs in varying stages of amounts 2 more sitting on gas waiting for an open tap 2 three gallon kegs for travel/ just in case 2 or more kick and 4 more outside the keezer waiting for room inside.

Quick Reply