Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keezer cycle time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #21
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

To the points above, I have my probe sitting in a glass of water to measure liquid temp, not air temp.

With that said, I made a few slight adjustments this weekend. The freezer now swings much slower. It runs for about 30min to an hour to bring it down to about 4 degrees Celsius and takes up to 6 hours before hitting 7 degrees to flip the freezer back on. I'm happy with it running only 4 times in a 24 hour period.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have my probe in the air inside my keezer. Temp set at -2C with a 5C differential, so my temp range is -2C to 3 (28F - 37F) which keeps my beer around 34, and the keezer cycles every 45min or so for about 3 minutes.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
neut2004
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland
I have my probe in the air inside my keezer. Temp set at -2C with a 5C differential, so my temp range is -2C to 3 (28F - 37F) which keeps my beer around 34, and the keezer cycles every 45min or so for about 3 minutes.
If your on and off intervals are both accurate, your keezer must have a large compressor and terrible insulation. To have your temp rise by 9 deg F over 45 minutes is super fast. Even if I left my keezer open for 45 minutes it may not rise by 9 deg. To have it cool back down by 9 deg in 3 min is also insanely fast, especially considering the poor insulation. Putting your probe in a small container of water will reduce the frequency at which the keezer turns on. The 3 minute 'on' time is baffling. My 4 keg keezer comes on for 15 min every 3 hours, it's set at 40 deg F with a 2 deg swing.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll put a different spin on this. I don't have a keezer but I lager in a freezer so it's pretty much the same thing. My temp controller is an arduino so I've coded how it cycles. I set a target air temp, and a heating/cooling mode. Obviously it's in cooling mode for this. Heating if for my HLT. When the temp is above the target, it turns the freezer on for 30 seconds, once it's run for 30 seconds, it checks the temp every 10 seconds until the target temp is passed. Seeing as it's a 3cu.ft freezer, 30 seconds is usually enough to get the fluid running through the freezer and drop the temp below the target. A 30 second run usually drops the freezer air about 5 degrees, 4 of which happen after the compressor has already shut off. Pretty sure it cycles about once every hour and a half or so. I've never really timed it. As long as it's not cycling so fast that it's causing damage to the compressor I've never really cared.

Edit: Geez nevermind. That cycle was 15 minutes. I think the deal is the probe is too close to the inside wall of the freezer. Hah, it's probably holding the average temp to a degree or two. Oops.

Edit Again: No it needs a differential. Don't turn on until you're a (differential amount) past the target, don't turn off till you've passed the target. Unless the freezer is big it will always drop the temp enough by 30 seconds to shut down the compressor.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 01-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #25
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yeah, I think I'm going to call mine in the sweet spot. 6hr average time to raise from around 4 degrees C to 7 when there it turns on the compressor. It then takes 30-45 min to bring it back down. My probe is in about 30-36oz of water. So average run time is around 4 times a day for less than 4hrs.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Quick Reply