Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keezer cycle time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sounds good. Thanks guys. I'll just take it that my freezer turning on every 2-3 hours for 10-15 minutes is well in the range of being fine. Just trying to minimize the work the freezer does to help it last as long as possible.

Thanks

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Pdeezy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1 View Post
Yeah, currently I have 2 kegs in there. I'm trying to maintain that at the very least. Ideally, I'll get 2 more kegs and have 2 on tap, 2 carbing naturally to fill the space.
carbing naturally, or carbed naturally? naturally as in yeast and sugar? that won't work too well @ 40°

Next to Brew - Who knows...something with EKG

Primary - April's Amber

Bottled - Bee Cave IPA
Bottled - Apfelwein
Bottled - Dirty Blonde (BM's Blonde w/ 2X hops)
Bottled - Ed's Haus
Bottled - Hop Dread Red V1.0 (Red IPA)

Old 01-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1 View Post
Sounds good. Thanks guys. I'll just take it that my freezer turning on every 2-3 hours for 10-15 minutes is well in the range of being fine. Just trying to minimize the work the freezer does to help it last as long as possible.

Thanks
oh, yeah, that's well within the range. that's really good actually.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 01-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdeezy View Post
carbing naturally, or carbed naturally? naturally as in yeast and sugar? that won't work too well @ 40°
Sorry, carbED lol...thanks for catching that

Old 01-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
oh, yeah, that's well within the range. that's really good actually.
Awesome...that's what I was hoping. The freezer may be taking a little longer than the 15 min, but whenever I see it close to turning on, next time I check usually within an hour, it's already down to 3-4 and is off. So, the 10-15 min run time is a guesstimate.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
Fly_Rodder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't timed mine, but a 5cf with two 1/2 full kegs seems to kick on every 30-45 minutes or so for 3-5 minutes and then shuts down. And I just have the temp probe measuring ambient air inside the keezer.

Building that keezer was the best thing I did last year. Although, my beer consumption has sky rocketed. Go figure.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Rodder View Post
I haven't timed mine, but a 5cf with two 1/2 full kegs seems to kick on every 30-45 minutes or so for 3-5 minutes and then shuts down. And I just have the temp probe measuring ambient air inside the keezer.

Building that keezer was the best thing I did last year. Although, my beer consumption has sky rocketed. Go figure.
I just tapped my first keg and it carbed up the other night...I anticipate my beer consumption may follow. And with no bottles lying around, the wife won't be able to referee as easily.

My digital temp probe is in a glass of water and I also have a temperature probe measuring ambient temp in the freezer. I am realizing that the ambient temp is not that helpful because of the vast difference in the temp of the air versus the temp of the kegs. If the lid is not opened for awhile (like over night), they read the same. I have heard of people taping the temp probes to the kegs. Maybe I will try that. I guess I originally wanted the extra probe to serve as a check on the digital controller. Not working too well at this point.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It always surprises me when people control their freezers using beer temp instead of freezer air temp. Water, which is what mostly makes up beer, has one of the highest heat capacities of any material meaning it takes a ton of energy to get it to change its temp. Air has a fairly small heat capacity, it will change temp quickly. If you stick your temp probe that controls your temp controller on your keg/fermenter, your freezer may cool to a temperature well below the temperature of your beer. In a large enough freezer, this could cause your beer to continue cooling past the desired temp then slowly creep back up to your target. By that point the temp in the freezer could be well above your target. While this may reduce cycle times, in theory, your beer temp would be more consistent if you put your probe in the freezer air, midway up and a good distance from the side. Maybe in practice this is wrong though, it seems everyone gravitates towards sticking the probe on the keg or in the fermenter. Personally, I put the controlling probe in the freezer or chamber air then another in/on my wort/beer then set the air temp a smidge above my target temp. Works like a charm with only a little babysitting in the first few days of fermentation.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
neut2004
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab
It always surprises me when people control their freezers using beer temp instead of freezer air temp. Water, which is what mostly makes up beer, has one of the highest heat capacities of any material meaning it takes a ton of energy to get it to change its temp. Air has a fairly small heat capacity, it will change temp quickly. If you stick your temp probe that controls your temp controller on your keg/fermenter, your freezer may cool to a temperature well below the temperature of your beer. In a large enough freezer, this could cause your beer to continue cooling past the desired temp then slowly creep back up to your target. By that point the temp in the freezer could be well above your target. While this may reduce cycle times, in theory, your beer temp would be more consistent if you put your probe in the freezer air, midway up and a good distance from the side. Maybe in practice this is wrong though, it seems everyone gravitates towards sticking the probe on the keg or in the fermenter. Personally, I put the controlling probe in the freezer or chamber air then another in/on my wort/beer then set the air temp a smidge above my target temp. Works like a charm with only a little babysitting in the first few days of fermentation.
You make a good point about the thermal capacity of water v air. A good compromise would be to put the probe in a small volume of liquid (eg, a cup of water) to keep the freezer from coming on every time the lid is opened, while maintaning a more stable beer temp than if the probe were in a fermentor or against a keg.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1377 Times on 1112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
[...]If you stick your temp probe that controls your temp controller on your keg/fermenter, your freezer may cool to a temperature well below the temperature of your beer.[...]
It appears the entire premise is based upon a malfunction as described above...

Cheers!

Quick Reply