Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keezer Conversion Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
BrotherInKrime
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keezer Conversion Kit?

I just purchase a 13 cubic foot Kenmore Chest Freezer that I found on sale. I have been meaning to get a kegerator for some time and I found this freezer on sale so I took the plunge. The freezer will be coming in at the end of the week so I want to put in my order for the necessary equipment to do the conversion but I am not sure exactly what I need or where is the most reputable place to buy from. I found a set of 4 pin lock Corny Kegs from Cornykeg.com for $85 which sounds great for my homebrew. Besides this I am planning on setting up the keezer for 6 taps (I read that it can fit 6 corny's plus a CO2 tank). I am really excited but I also feel a bit overwhelmed right now. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks alot!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I would look into deciding if you want to go with faucets or picnic taps for your keezer. With faucets you will need to build a collar around the top of the freezer and there are many good pictures on this site to give you some ideas of what you might want to try.

I bought much of my kegging equipment from keg connection and I have been fairly satisfied. Other like keg cowboy which I am thinking of using for my next order.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 07-05-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
Gimlet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Keep in mind that pin lock kegs are larger in diameter than the more common ball lock kegs. If your source that said you could fit 6 in was based off of ball locks, you should double-check your figures before committing to pin locks (or 6 faucets).

Old 07-05-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
NWMOBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

begin looking through the pictures and old keezer build threads. Decide if you want to go all out and build a coffin and skirt, or want an easier collar build, or if you just want to use picnic taps. Make sure you get a temp control, you don't want your beer to freeze. If you decide what style you want, then you can get some more help and I could give you more stuff. Do you have a regulator? A way to split your gas lines? I would suggest this regulator http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290448242198&hlp=false that way you can have 2 different gas pressures. To split the gas lines I suggest http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/connecting-2-co2-distributors-177875/ or some sort. I don't know what of this you already had on your list, and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, I am trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegtoe View Post
my recomendation: Have an understanding SWMBO

Old 07-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought a haier 14.8 cf freezer from menards that was on sale for a kegerator conversion. I set it up for 8 taps, I bought 3 towers and mounted them to the top. I was debating on the collar idea but decided to use the towers. I am able to fit 8 5 gallon pin locks and still have room for a case or 2 of beer. It really all depends on the freezer. The first freezer I bought I read someone could fit 4 cornys in there. Well that must have been ball locks cause I could only fit 3 pin locks in there. Returned that and ended up buying this one. I bought most of my supplies from Midwest supplies and the towers I forgot where I bought those from. Good luck with the build!

Old 07-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
BrotherInKrime
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWMOBrewer View Post
begin looking through the pictures and old keezer build threads. Decide if you want to go all out and build a coffin and skirt, or want an easier collar build, or if you just want to use picnic taps. Make sure you get a temp control, you don't want your beer to freeze. If you decide what style you want, then you can get some more help and I could give you more stuff. Do you have a regulator? A way to split your gas lines? I would suggest this regulator http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290448242198&hlp=false that way you can have 2 different gas pressures. To split the gas lines I suggest http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/connecting-2-co2-distributors-177875/ or some sort. I don't know what of this you already had on your list, and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, I am trying to help.

I am planning on having more than 2 kegs so is a dual regulator going to work well on 6 kegs? If one keg is full and one keg is low how will this affect the beer? I have seen posts where people have put a regulator for each keg but that seems a bit like overkill. Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
NWMOBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You would use a distributor like the second link I posted. Many LHBS carry them, but not all. Here is another link for the distributors http://www.wholesaledraft.com/Draft-Keg-Beer/Co2-Air-Distributors/Distributors-With-Safety.php?styleID=74&brandID=12 The ones I have shown you in this link have a safety that prevents too much air pressure. They allow you to turn the air off to one tank as needed and keep the others on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegtoe View Post
my recomendation: Have an understanding SWMBO

Quick Reply