The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keezer Collar

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
muse435
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
muse435's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 573
Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Keezer Collar

I am about to go to HD and buy my GE 5 cu ft freezer. I want a collar on it so i can keep my CO2 tank on the outside. I live in an apartment and don;t have access to the proper tools required for a nice collar but i was thinking of buying a couple of 2x4's and using them. It would not be tall or look "sweet" but it would allow me to drill through it and not the freezer.

While writing this i had a thought, the hinge is probably bigger than 3.75 in or so an I wont be able to get away with a 2x4. I will get the appropriate size that will allow this to work for me.

The real question i have is "how well does 2 in of wood work as an insulator? Do i need/should use foam as well?"

__________________
Primary - Ciders
Kegged - Two Quid (British Pale Ale)
muse435 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
SporkD2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 748
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I used 1x4s for my collar and then bought the cheap blue foam rolls at HD and lined the inside with that. Works great if the keezer is inside where the temps wont fluctuate that much. If its outside or in a garage I would make sure to insulate the collar really well.

Hope that helps

__________________

None :(

SporkD2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Hammy71
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hammy71's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: , Maryland, The Tax Me State
Posts: 5,533
Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Default

The hinges really depend on the brand. A friend has a 2x4 collar on his and it works fine. No insulation if I recall.

__________________
Hammy71 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
SporkD2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 748
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

If you do use 1x4's i suggest putting the hinges on the freezer lid and not the collar as well. Mine was very heavy when I didn't do this and regretted it.

__________________

None :(

SporkD2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
muse435
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
muse435's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 573
Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkD2 View Post
If you do use 1x4's i suggest putting the hinges on the freezer lid and not the collar as well. Mine was very heavy when I didn't do this and regretted it.
My plan is to remover the lid from the body while keeping the hinge attached to the lid, the collar will remain stationary on top of the body when the lid is opened. Is this what you meant?

This brings me to my next question, how do you recommend securing the collar to the body? my thoughts were to get two sided padded tape and on the back secure it to the original holes for the hinge. My ultimate goal is to do no damage to the freezer, as not to void the warranty, also in case i use it for something else, or sell it for an upgrade.

Any suggestions on the type of wood for 2x4s? it does not have to look amazing, I am more concerned with utility right now, as well as on a budget.
__________________
Primary - Ciders
Kegged - Two Quid (British Pale Ale)
muse435 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Jota21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 317
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse435 View Post
While writing this i had a thought, the hinge is probably bigger than 3.75 in or so an I wont be able to get away with a 2x4. I will get the appropriate size that will allow this to work for me.

The real question i have is "how well does 2 in of wood work as an insulator? Do i need/should use foam as well?"
I have no idea why it's done this way, but to the the best of my knowledge:
a 2x4 is actually 1.5 x 3.5
a 2x6 is actually 1.5 x 5.5
a 2x8 is actually 1.5 x 7.25
a 2x10 is actually 1.5 x 9.25
a 2x12 is actually 1.5 x 11.15

and so on and so forth....

Wood is a decent insulator, but for a few extra bucks, i'd put some foam on the back.
__________________
Jota21 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Mischief_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sayreville, NJ, NJ
Posts: 1,264
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse435 View Post
This brings me to my next question, how do you recommend securing the collar to the body? my thoughts were to get two sided padded tape and on the back secure it to the original holes for the hinge. My ultimate goal is to do no damage to the freezer, as not to void the warranty, also in case i use it for something else, or sell it for an upgrade.
Try this stuff, it comes highly recommended by several people on this site. You can find similar at home depot.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/M-D-...y-3439247.html
__________________
My TrashCan-O-Rator Build
3-Tap Built-In Liquor Cabinet Build
W.H.A.L.E.S. Homebrew Club
Mischief_Brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
whalenutz
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
whalenutz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 258
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Liquid Nail

__________________
whalenutz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
muse435
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
muse435's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 573
Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jota21 View Post
I have no idea why it's done this way, but to the the best of my knowledge:
a 2x4 is actually 1.5 x 3.5
a 2x6 is actually 1.5 x 5.5
a 2x8 is actually 1.5 x 7.25
a 2x10 is actually 1.5 x 9.25
a 2x12 is actually 1.5 x 11.15

and so on and so forth....

Wood is a decent insulator, but for a few extra bucks, i'd put some foam on the back.
It is done like that for the size of the original saw blades in the mill, and buys want to think they are getting more (That is what i was told as a kid) :-)

I think i'm going to get some sheet insulation
__________________
Primary - Ciders
Kegged - Two Quid (British Pale Ale)
muse435 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
muse435
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
muse435's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 573
Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief_Brewing View Post
Try this stuff, it comes highly recommended by several people on this site. You can find similar at home depot.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/M-D-...y-3439247.html
Does it come off?
__________________
Primary - Ciders
Kegged - Two Quid (British Pale Ale)
muse435 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
keezer collar questions BuzzCraft Bottling/Kegging 12 03-17-2011 12:46 PM
Do you really need a collar on a keezer? BoiseJim Bottling/Kegging 5 08-26-2010 03:39 PM
Keezer collar and condensation dedhedjed Bottling/Kegging 3 04-15-2010 12:46 AM
New Keezer and Collar Question iXanadu Bottling/Kegging 9 05-03-2009 11:24 PM
Keezer collar. Bender Bottling/Kegging 4 12-23-2008 05:02 AM