Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keezer Build. Another one on the way…

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
JakeTheHopDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Keezer Build. Another one on the way…

Finally getting around to posting pictures of my keezer build. First, I want to thank those who posted their builds for all the great ideas. Makes planning one out a lot easier when you can see how others have done it.

First, since it will be in the living room, the wife insisted it look like furniture. I’ve got a 1930something ice box converted to a liquor cabinet, so I’m going for that look. It's acually made of ash, but that's kind of hard to find, so I'm using oak.

I bought a GE 7.0 CF freezer from Home Depot. I wanted three taps, 2 homebrew and 1 sixth barrel for commercial brews, with no collar. This one fits the bill.

Picked up my keg parts from KegConnections and the gages from BeverageFactory. Tap Handles from eBay.

Picked up the oak lumber at Home Depot.

Now it’s time to get to work. But first...

"Before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses." Norm Abram

And no drinking! It's hard to hold a beer glass without a thumb...

First the base and wheels. 2x4's on the flat and 2 inch wheels.

Here’s the front panel styles and rails pegged, glued and clamped.

Here’s the side and front panels together. Wanted to go with raised panels on the front, like the ice box, but with the price of oak, I decided to just use this.

That’s it for now. More to come as I continue the build.

Keith

My Keezer Build

HOP DOG BREWING CO.
Spring Hill, FL
"If you can't drink with the Hop Dog..."

"Doppler Effect": The sudden change in pitch of a car horn as a car passes by.
"Dopeler Effect": The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Last edited by JakeTheHopDog; 04-13-2010 at 02:46 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
inspector13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looking good! Will be waiting for your pictures as you proceed.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
whoneedsabeer
Recipes 

Great looking start. I just picked up the same freezer from HD. You're waaaay ahead of me, I've got analysis-paralysis. I've changed my mind dozens of times on this build.

subscribed!

Old 03-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I too bought the same freezer from HD....I just jammed 3 cornies, CO2 and picnic taps inside. Beer tastes great.....that and the fact that I do not have anywheres near those woodworking skills.

Eventually I'll do a collar and slap 3 Perlicks on there. That's about the limit on my skills. Maybe I'll even paint the wood!

Keg 1: Rye IPA
Keg 2: Rye IPA
Keg 3: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg 4: Empty

On Deck: Lemon Line Hefe, Saison, SNPA Clone

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When I get started on mine, I'd absolutely love to do the same thing (don't have the woodworking skills!), but I keep hearing that skinning the freezer causes it to overheat?

Is that just going to be something that slides on/off the front of the freezer, or is it going to be physically attached?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
JakeTheHopDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you all for the kind words. My dad was a carpenter for 40+ years, so I learned everything from him. He puts me to shame to this day, and he's 77 now. Incredible attention to detail. I'm Sooo looking forward to his critique.

Yes, it slides on and is blocked in the front inside corners to sit on the base at the right height. Then, in the back, I’ve got blocks glued & screwed to the base with L Brackets. If I need to take it off, unscrew two ½” screws from each side and slide it off the front.

As for skinning, some have glued ¼” oak plywood veneer right to the outside of the freezer. The R value of that thin plywood is .09, or nothing, so no problem there, the heat passes right through. I decided to build my sides “Free standing” so if something happens to the freezer, I just take off the surround, unbolt the top, and put a new freezer on the base.

If heat is an issue, I’ll build a small fan box with a couple of small computer fans and duck it into the gap from the back and blow air around it. But that’s only if I need it.

Keith

My Keezer Build

HOP DOG BREWING CO.
Spring Hill, FL

"Dopeler Effect": The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
whoneedsabeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
I keep hearing that skinning the freezer causes it to overheat?
I've read this a lot on here too. Currently, I have my freezer in my garage, running as-is out of the box, just to make sure there's no problems with it before I start hacking it up. When I first plugged it in, the outside got surprisingly warm to the touch. That's when it was first getting down to temp. Now when the compressor kicks on, it gets only slightly warm.

I think there is something to the fact that there needs to be air flow around the outside, but we're also only keeping the temps at 30-40% of what the freezer was designed to do.

I would think if you allow air in from the bottom, as well as an escape at the top, it would begin to act like a chimney, since hot air rises. Fans have also been implemented in these builds to help that along.

The other implementation is to glue 1/8" wood laminate, thereby eliminating the air gap completely. Since that wood is so thin, the R value can't be more than 1, I'm guessing. I don't think that would be a problem, either.

Again - These are just my speculations, YMMV. Personally, I am leaning toward the thinner wood, glued to the sides.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #8
ubermick
Recipes 

Thanks for the input, lads.

The wife has given approval for the conversion of the downstairs room into the man cave, with the caveat that it has to be a little more of a gender neutral cave. 99 times out of 100, she won't be down there but she wants it to be "presentable for company." So the kegerator needs to look good, as well as provide me with the golden throat charmer.

Anyways, don't want to hijack Jake's good lookin' build thread, so...

Taking notes now as to how you handle the lid! I noticed that you already had shanks and faucets. I'm assuming you're going with an Irish coffin?

Last edited by ubermick; 03-25-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
JakeTheHopDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ubermick, that is correct. Drawing it up now, as I write this. Still working out the dimensions to make it fit the scale of the Keezer. Give me about half an hour and I’ll edit this post with a "preliminary" side shot drawing. Guess it’s time for another beer…

I’d also be willing to share my drawing with you when I get done, if that would help with yours.

Keith

My Keezer Build

HOP DOG BREWING CO.
Spring Hill, FL

Old 03-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #10
ubermick
Recipes 

Jake, I was actually thinking more along the lines of you flying it out and building it for me, while I "supervise" with a beverage!

(Cheers, the drawings would be a fantastic help to me, and I'm sure everyone else looking to build one of these. I was originally going to go with a four-tap tower, but now I'm thinking that if I'm going to be skinning it with wood, a coffin wouldn't be a bad idea.)

Quick Reply