New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keezer "5ive"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 AM   #21
Jester369
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Keep up the good work!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #22
Jota21
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

subscribed...

Old 10-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #23
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Hey man.....just sent you a PM about your temperature probe questions. Very nice work so far.....and the progress has been lightening quick. Great job! I also had some issues with getting my order placed with KC, but they finally came through for me and they have been great with any follow up questions I had early on, and when I placed my second order with them. I just calculated my total cost for my keezer and I'm hovering right around $1000 for my build in total, so it can be done on your budget. Granted I only paid like $125 for the freezer (3 month old CL find) and the cedar log trims were all free, but I only have 4 taps and you have 5. How are you coming along on your budget....are you going to make it? Keep up the great work....a very classy build so far!

oh...one more thing it's "Hoppopotomus"....not Hippopotomus

Old 10-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
futzwash
Recipes 

Thanks to everyone who's been following my build!

First up, Here are some pics of the love controller for people who havent seen it before!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #25
futzwash
Recipes 

Next up....

We drilled all 5 holes for the taps. We started the first one with a 1" hole saw, but realized that we got a much tighter fit with a 7/8" hole saw.

Since we have 5 taps, and our coffin is 32" wide, started by putting the middle tap 16" from each side (which is our centerline). From there we decided on 4-1/2" spacing between the remainder of taps and that left us with 7" on each side of the last tap before you get to the end of the coffin.

A note to point out... HAVE A PLAN WHEN YOU GET TO THIS PART! Most people dont have the final piece of wood that will be stained and used for the front of the coffin yet and havent really decided how big that piece will be. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE SIZE OF THE FRONT FINAL PIECE OF WOOD BEFORE YOU DRILL YOUR HOLES! Since we knew that our front piece of wood will be 3/4" nice cherry wood, with dimentions of 32" wide x 6" (ACTUAL HEIGHT!) we are drilling our holes 3" down from the top of the coffin. This way, when your keezer is finished, the taps are perfectly centered!

Here are some pics... we are temporarily using a piece of oak that we cut to the same dimensions as our final piece of cherry wood. This way, when the final wood is ready, we will simply unscrew this piece and liquid nail the final piece on.

Last edited by futzwash; 10-14-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #26
futzwash
Recipes 

We were going to use a 2x4 (as you can see in the picture from my last post) for the recesssed part (infront of the coffin plywood, but behind the nice cherry wood on the front), but the 2x4 was warping a little which made the front piece of wood angle angle down and since we had a bunch of 3/4" nice oak left over and wanted the recessed support to go all the way to the top of the coffin (not have the 2x4 1” down), we cut two 32" x 4-1/2" pieces of oak and together they will make sure that we have 1-1/2" recessed both in depth and height from the bottom of the finished 32” x 6” piece of cherry wood. Im not sure if that makes sense but ill take some pics tongiht to show you what i mean!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #27
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts

Subscribed! Nice work so far.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #28
futzwash
Recipes 

Spoiler Alert!!! I was gonna keep this little piece of my keezer a secret untill it was finished, but I cant show you any pictures of the progress if I do that, plus I am really excited about how it will turn out.

So, we decided against putting the controller in line with the taps, mainly because I didn't like how it looked with a big gap on the left side, and the controller taking up room on the right.

We have decided to put it centered in the recessed part of the coffin that will hold the backsplash. I haven’t seen it done before and wanted mine to be original!

Whatcha Think???????

Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #29
Face Eater
I brew beer....
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by futzwash
Spoiler Alert!!! I was gonna keep this little piece of my keezer a secret untill it was finished, but I cant show you any pictures of the progress if I do that, plus I am really excited about how it will turn out.

So, we decided against putting the controller in line with the taps, mainly because I didn't like how it looked with a big gap on the left side, and the controller taking up room on the right.

We have decided to put it centered in the recessed part of the coffin that will hold the backsplash. I haven’t seen it done before and wanted mine to be original!

Whatcha Think???????
Looks good! I want to put a love controller on mine and get rid of the Johnson controls a419. It works but the love controllers look cool!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #30
futzwash
Recipes 

Also, as you can see from the post above, we also cut two 2" holes in the lid, pushed two 2" pvc pipes in the holes, added silicone and placed a coupler on top and bottom for each to hold them and keep them snug.

I would have liked to have the two holes be wider than each of the end shanks, but as you can see from a pic of the inside of the lid (below), for me it is more important to make sure with our collarless keezer that the pvc/fan/beerline wont hit the regulator or kegs. We made sure by measuring where our kegs will be (even with numerous different configurations) so that directly below the holes we have plenty of room for whatever we needs to go into the keezer from the coffin.

Heres the pic

Quick Reply