HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keezer "5ive"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
wegz15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

You're not messing around. Looks like you're making good progress. I'd still have a pile of 2x4s sitting there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #12
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I know you want to hide the casters, but those locking ones are gonna be a PITA to reach, aren't they? If it wasn't already too late, I would suggest swapping the casters and 2x4s. They would still be hideable behind whatever panel is going there, but you could also reach the brake a little easier. It would also spread the base out, making the unit more sturdy, since all the 2x4s are doing is holding the 2x6s together right? No load is transferred through them to the floor?

It looks awesome though! I can't wait to see it finished.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #13
futzwash
Recipes 

Ok, so i received my shipment from beveragefactory.com the past week but was in New York, DC, and PHX so i am finally getting around to opening it.

At first I was going to use Kegconnection, but after numerous try's JUST TO TRY AND PLACE AN ORDER (litterally like 3 phone calls/day for 5 days)... I gave up. Plus if I would have used kc, to keep costs down I would have had to just go with the perlick 525PC's (which are chrome ) and would have wound up still needing to get a 30" drip tray and low boy couplers from bev factory anyways.

Then out of neccessity for finding a company that I can actually place an order with, I found a killer loophole to get really good pricing from Bev factory for all my components for the keezer by purchasing a "Custom Two Keg Door Mount Kegerator Keg Tap Conversion Kit".

Here all you need to do is pick and choose which components you would like to add to your setup (in two's) and get really good deals. The great thing about this is that you can add as much or little to the order as you want. If all you need is two 525ss's and two shanks (or if you need four!), then you can get them for $39.40 each.

I ended up adding two custom kits(that include everything i need for my setup) but didnt do the checkout process till i had all the items i needed (that way they would only charge me $8 for shipping and no tax) and here is the breakdown:

1st I added this order to the cart:
Custom Two Keg Door Mount Kegerator Keg Tap Conversion Kit
5 lb. Aluminum Co2 Tank [BF C5] - $56.00
Premium Pro Series Double Gauge Kegerator Regulator w/ Two Product Out - $61.70
Two 11' Beer Line Assemblies - 3/16" ID Beer Tubing - $8.55 ($4.28 each)
Two 11' Long Air Line Assemblies of 5/16" ID Tubing - $11.40 ($2.28 each... this will be enough for 5 air lines that will be 4' long)
Two - 5 1/8" Inch Shanks w/ Nipple Assemblies - $26.60 ($13.30 each)
Two - Perlick PERL 525SS Keg Beer Faucets - $52.20 ($26.10 each)

2nd I added this order to the cart:
Custom Two Keg Door Mount Kegerator Keg Tap Conversion Kit
Two 11' Beer Line Assemblies - 3/16" ID Beer Tubing - $8.55 ($4.28 each)
Two - 5 1/8" Inch Shanks w/ Nipple Assemblies - $26.60 ($13.30 each)
Two - Perlick PERL 525SS Keg Beer Faucets - $52.20 ($26.10 each)

Then I went and added these items seperately:
two low-boy sanke coupers - $85.40 ($42.70 each)
one 30" stainless steel drip tray - $71.20
one 30" stainless steel upgrade grid - $35.00
one perlick 525ss faucet - $34.15
one 5-1/8" long shank with nipple - $17.05

Then purchased that all together, and shipping was only $8.90 with no tax.

I then called bev factory to see if they could give me a discount to offset the single purchase price of the faucet and shank, since i was buying in bulk anyways. so they gave me a $14 discount for the one faucet/shank combo.

Also, I put all my purchases into an excel spreadsheet and realized that the Subtotal ($601.55) was about $70 more than what the prices should have added up to. They said they would look into it because it didnt add up for them either. About 5 hours later I got a call from a sales rep who said that their website's automatic cart added the wrong numbers and so they re-calculated everything and my total was:
Subtotal - $532.60
Shipping - Fedex Home Delivery - 8.91
Total Delivered Price $541.51

So you can see that if you add my shank and faucet purchases together, im only paying ($39.40 each) , $.38/ft for bev hose , $.52/ft for air line.

The next step is to buy a 3 way secondary regulator, 30ft of bev hose (for soda/rootbeer on 5th tap) and a 2.5 g corney keg as well as a few 5g corney's with quick disconnects and mfl fittings when I start homebrewing (then it should be complete)

I decided that I would buy all the hardware for inside the coffin so that way from the outside it looks finished, even though we wont have 5 kegs on tap untill we start homebrewing.

Here is a pic of everything laid out after i opened the boxes:

Last edited by futzwash; 10-14-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
futzwash
Recipes 

@ wegs15: haha yea.. Acutally I do! I ended up with some left over wood because we changed a few things along the way. thanks for the comment!

@ djfriesen: That was going to be the plan originally!!! im not saying that my way is right by any means, but we decided to go this route mainly so when we went to pick up the keezer (up 1 step) we wanted to grab onto the bottom of the frame on the two front corners without putting any pressure on the nice wood paneling in the front. The way we have it setup will allow us to grab the 2x4's (if it was the other way, then the 3/4" wood panels on the front would stick down about 2" and when we would go to grab it, we wouldnt be able to grab the frame and would be picking the whole keezer up by the nice wood in front. Also, we are trying to keep the size of the frame as small as possible because the wider/taller it is the more likely it will interfer with our pool/ping pong table. On a side note, this thing is super stable!

The locking casters are in the back and will only be needed when we take it outside for parties and such. Also, the back is the only way to reach underneath the keezer once we put the wood panels on the front/sides. Most of the time it will be sitting on flat carpet so the locks wont need to be engaged.

Thanks for the insight though! I appreciate it.

Last edited by futzwash; 10-10-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
futzwash
Recipes 

Also, while on Vacay I decided to purchase the TSS2-2100 from love-controls.com. I am going to be using the same controller as Hippopotomus' Knotty Pine Keezer Build. The TSS2 ($69) has two inputs/two outputs but doesnt come with temp probes, so i made sure to purchase two TS-11's "Probe, PTC sensor, brass cap, 10 ft (3 m) length" for $8.50 each. One probe will be inside the coffin and one inside the keezer. Each will be seperate inputs that will control the coffin fan output, and the keezer compressor output. Just like Hippopotomus'.

That made my total with shipping + tax about $102.

I will post a pic of the controller when i get home tonight!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #16
Face Eater
I brew beer....
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looking good, can't wait to see it finished!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #17
futzwash
Recipes 

On a side note, I am wondering where exactly to put the controller. I really would like to put it on the front of the coffin like notrealdan's. I love how its centered between the 4 taps as well. However, since i have 5 taps, I cant center the display and have an even number of taps on each side. So I think i will be putting the controller next to the farthest right tap. Since there is 7" of space between the right tap and the coffin wall, my setup should be like this (from left to right):
the furthest right tap -> 2" space -> 3" wide controler -> 2" space -> Coffin Wall.

It should make my coffin look like this:

[--------------------------32"--------------------------]

I know this might have alot of people up in arms, but i think that I would like it better than having it down below in the frame.

Last edited by futzwash; 10-14-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
futzwash
Recipes 

@John0228 : thanks for the support. I should have it kegged by the end of week. I have all the hardware necessary for 2 sanke taps and if i had more couplers could expand it to 3. First keg is gonna be Arrogant Bastard by Stone brewing Co.

Tonight i will drill the 5 1" holes for the shanks and two 2" holes for the coffin ventilation, the hole for the controller and start wiring the controller!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #19
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Subscribed.

I think I only read keezer-build threads these days... need to branch out.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #20
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB View Post
Subscribed.

I think I only read keezer-build threads these days... need to branch out.
lol.... they sure are fun though, aren't they!

Quick Reply