Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Just got my kegging setup, let the stupid questions begin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
Mayday99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Just got my kegging setup, let the stupid questions begin

Alright!

I was stoked today to see a big box from Midwest supplies waiting on my doorstep when I got home today. Inside, two used kegs (looked to be in pretty good shape) a double regulator (2 pressure) and a brand new 5lb aluminum CO2 tank.

I am looking everything over and I notice the valve on the co2 tank doesn't really turn. It moves a fraction of a rotation in either direction, but feels like it is hitting a safety of some sort? I figured it was better for me to get familiar with it now rather than when it is filled with compressed gas.

Anyone have an idea of what I am talking about?

I searched, but couldn't find anything on this.

More stupid questions to come, I'm sure.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 01:44 AM   #2
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just placed my order for this same setup. call midwest, they've been good to me in the past

Old 03-17-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Since you're going to have to get it filled, I would just take it to a gas supplier and have them look at it. If it's broke they probably wont fill it, if its just you not know what you doing (no disrespect intended) then they will most likely set you straight.

FYI Airgas usually just swaps out empty tanks for full ones, just like propane exchanges. I had brought them a tank that was out of hydro and they swapped it out no questions asked and with no additional charge.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
Mayday99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced MassHole View Post
Since you're going to have to get it filled, I would just take it to a gas supplier and have them look at it. If it's broke they probably wont fill it, if its just you not know what you doing (no disrespect intended) then they will most likely set you straight.

FYI Airgas usually just swaps out empty tanks for full ones, just like propane exchanges. I had brought them a tank that was out of hydro and they swapped it out no questions asked and with no additional charge.
Hah, love your handle, I thought only us folks in Connecticut referred to our northern neighbors as Mass holes.

Any way, your answer convinced me the tank should be able to turn, and encouraged me to give it a little more muscle, it is opening now. I just didn't want to force it at first. Maybe this is something on newer tanks, but you just need to turn it a bit harder at the beginning, this is probably to keep it from opening accidentally.

Thanks, I don't know what I would do without these forums!

Last edited by Mayday99; 03-17-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday99 View Post
Hah, love your handle, I thought only us folks in Connecticut referred to our northern neighbors as Mass holes.
It's ok you can call us that all day, and we'll continue to curse all the crappy CT drivers that cross the border into our world.

I'm not so sure about your theory on "the first turn" of the valve though. Just make sure you mention it the first time you get it filled so they can make sure its safe for you.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #6
Mayday99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I met at the beginning of each turn. Each time I open it, there is a little resistance right when you first start turning that you need to push past, it is then easy to open it the rest of the way.

I have played with it a couple of times and it feels like a safety feature, but I will be sure to ask when I get it filled.

Hoping I can get it filled at Hogan's Alley paintball in Meriden. Airgas and the other places all close at 4-5.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
JakeTheHopDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday99 View Post
Thanks, I met at the beginning of each turn. Each time I open it, there is a little resistance right when you first start turning that you need to push past, it is then easy to open it the rest of the way.
Mine does the same thing. Brand new bottle. Had if checked and filled and everything is OK.

Keith

My Keezer Build

HOP DOG BREWING CO.
Spring Hill, FL
"If you can't drink with the Hop Dog..."

"Doppler Effect": The sudden change in pitch of a car horn as a car passes by.
"Dopeler Effect": The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #8
Mayday99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I went to a nearby paintball place, Hogan's Alley in Meriden, and they filled it while I waited for $10! So I got to keep my brand new tank, and they are open until 7!

I hope this place doesn't go anywhere soon. Everywhere else I called was more expensive and they all closed at 4 or 5.

My keg fridge arrived today and my draft tower/faucets come on Friday. Can't wait!

Now I wonder how concerned I should be about finding a way to secure the co2 tank. I have a double regulator, so it is pretty long. There is room to put it in front of two cornies rather than on the tank shelf in the back.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A piece of wire works well to secure the tank. You can loop the wire around something inside the fridge, or even around a keg handle.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:33 AM   #10
sambogi76
Recipes 

So are you pretty happy with their setup from midwest? I am looking at the same setup from them. Im wanting to get one in the next couple of months. This bottling crap is for the birds.

Quick Reply