Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Just bought a pin lock system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
jerryteague
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 151 Posts

Default Just bought a pin lock system

Hey guys, I just bought a kegging system from Midwest today. Its a pin lock system with 2 kegs, a dual regulator, and a 5 lb CO2 cylinder. I'm a complete newb when it comes to kegs, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions about systems, kegs, etc.
My first question is: why are pin lock kegs less expensive than ball lock kegs? I can buy a re-conditioned pin lock keg for an average of $10 less than ball locks. Is there a reason, other than availability, or are pin lock kegs less desirable? Later, I plan on upgrading my system to 4 kegs on a 20 lb CO2 cylinder, and 1 keg on a nitrogen cylinder for stouts. If it becomes necessary later I may move to a ball lock system, but if pin locks are comparable, then what would be the reason to switch? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
nomadbrewer33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

They both accomplish the same thing. I think the ball locks are more desirable because the replacement parts are easier to acquire. This is true for the simple fact that ball locks are more popular. This used to mean the ball locks were cheaper, so I guess times have changed...or you just found a good deal on some pin lock kegs.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1390 Times on 1284 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I also went with pin lock just because they were cheaper.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

I chose pin locks, too. The diameter and height of the two varieties are different, also, meaning that you need to know what will fit your fridge/kegerator/keezer.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I think that due to differences in equipment changes by Coke and Pepsi, the ball lock kegs happen to be more available at this point.

Additionally, the ball lock kegs are skinnier (and therefore taller),so you can fit more in a given footprint, e.g. a keezer.

But both are perfectly fine.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
jerryteague
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I don't see myself having more than 5 or 6 taps, so the pin locks will work great with my current Keezer. I have large Keezer that will accommodate 6 cornies plus a few for storage/Lagering. I still need to put a 6" collar around the top to allow for gas lines to pass through, and such. Now I have to save up and buy some more kegs, so I can brew more.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
jerryteague
Recipes 

Quick update: my kegs came in the mail today! I still need to get a pin lock wrench and a spare o-ring set, but I have everything else. The tanks even had pressure in them when I checked. Now I can get my pipeline going. The only thing that sucks is, I have to go out of town for a few days this afternoon, so I can't get my CO2 tank filled until I get back. Now I can give a few cases of bottles away to someone that needs them (I think I'll keep 2 cases for myself). I think I have 2 or 3 cases of amber bottles, if anyone in the Tulsa area is looking, and will have 3 more when I empty the ones that have beer in them. I would do the happy dance, but it would NOT be a pretty sight, so I'll refrain (maybe)!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
evandena
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryteague
Quick update: my kegs came in the mail today! I still need to get a pin lock wrench and a spare o-ring set, but I have everything else. The tanks even had pressure in them when I checked. Now I can get my pipeline going. The only thing that sucks is, I have to go out of town for a few days this afternoon, so I can't get my CO2 tank filled until I get back. Now I can give a few cases of bottles away to someone that needs them (I think I'll keep 2 cases for myself). I think I have 2 or 3 cases of amber bottles, if anyone in the Tulsa area is looking, and will have 3 more when I empty the ones that have beer in them. I would do the happy dance, but it would NOT be a pretty sight, so I'll refrain (maybe)!
If you have a dremmel, it's pretty easy to make a pin socket. They are so expensive to buy for some reason.

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
JSGT09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just bought the same system from Midwest last week, although mine haven't even shipped yet. Did your pin lock kegs come with the keyring style purge that you usually only see on the ball lock kegs? I've read their current pin lock supplier has been doing this.

Primary: Empty :(
Kegged: Ed Wort Hefeweizen, Scottish Shilling 80
Bottled: 1554 Clone

Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
jerryteague
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandena

If you have a dremmel, it's pretty easy to make a pin socket. They are so expensive to buy for some reason.
I'm buying the socket from cornykeg.com, they seem to cost about 1/2 what midwest charges.

Quick Reply