Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Junk on bottom of bottle.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
BrewDealer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Junk on bottom of bottle.

There is a slight layer of what looks like could be priming sugar on the bottom of the bottles. Any idea if its ok to drink or what it could be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Yeast; they drop out of suspension once they're done eating the priming sugar.

You're stuck with it, unless you're set up to force-carbonate with a CO2 tank, but after 48 hours in the fridge, it usually sticks to the bottom of the bottle pretty well, so, you can avoid pouring it into your glass without leaving too much beer in the bottles.

Of course, if you don't mind cloudy beer and a slight flavor of yeast, you can just pour it into your glass and drink it, it's not bad for you in any way, it's just not typical to have suspended yeast in most styles of beer.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's a natural sediment from yeast in the bottle and you can always pour gently to avoid getting in your glass. I have seen the amount in my bottles dwindle to nearly none over years of gaining experience in fermenting, transferring to carboys/secondary vessels to help with clearing, etc. Still have some in each batch, but I don't worry much about it.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Agreed - the more brewing experience you have, the better you are at avoiding getting trub in your bottles. My first batch had a few extra-crunchy bottles. Now mine hardly have any.

It's impossible to completely avoid sediment if you're carbonating in the bottle. The only real solution is to keg and force carbonate.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
Avocet
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Look--go get a 12 pack of sierra nevada pale ale and set them on their sides in your vegetable crisper in the frig for a couple of weeks and you'll find some caca in the bottom corner of every bottle. They say it's bottle conditioned ale-anyway even the big-time outfits get some trash settling out so don't feel bad!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 144

It isn't delicious, I leave it at the bottom of the bottle, it can also have a laxative effect. However, it does make the beer age in the bottle, which improves flavor and is why I don't filter.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Quick Reply