Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Infection back through Faucet - Possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 02:34 AM   #1
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Infection back through Faucet - Possible?

Just curious, my el cheapo faucets start to get sticky after a little while. Anyone ever have bacterial growth in the faucet cause problems?

Also, how often should one clean their beer lines?

Corrupt Brewers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2008, 02:37 AM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nope. Never had one. I clean my beer lines after 2 kegs if they are the same beer, or one keg for different beers. I switched to perlick forward seal faucets. They rock!

Old 06-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Any bacteria/etc would have to work their way through 6+ feet of beer line, through the disconnect, and down through the dip tube to get into my kegs, and this is all while fighting the occasional dispensing which would flush out all the beer in the line, and the fact that the fridge is nice and cold which slows bacterial growth way down.

In short, I'm not worried. I clean my beer lines occasionally for the purpose of removing any nasty buildup that might cause off flavors, not because I'm concerned about infection.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Infection from the faucet back is extremely unlikely. I run cleaner through the lines between kegs & brush the faucets when they get sticky. A nipple brush is great for faucets. [That's the baby type, not the babe type.]

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply