Indestructible Bottle Labels?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaiser423

Reaction score
I just finished de-labeling some bottles.

I put about 40 bottles in buckets with a good dose of Oxyclean. Left two days. Opened the buckets up to a beautiful sight: floating beer labels.

About 30 of the bottles didn't have any labels or flue residue or anything on them. Clean as a whistle. I rinsed them out really good a couple of times, and put them in storage.

12 of the bottles were from a local microbrewery. The labels weren't even bubbling or peeling, or anything! Hell, they were sparkly and like new. They liked the damn oxyclean bath!! It was like putting it through the damn wash!

I ended up tossing those in the recycling bin since I have more than enough easy to remove the label bottles. But man, I hope that this doesn't become a trend! I was really surprised especially since its such a small operation. I would've expected bullet-proof labels out of some big names first.

Anyone have any experience with these? Not that I need to figure out how to take the labels off, but the differences between the two are night and day! Should we expect the practice to spread some?!?

I have to admit, the labels did look kind of sexy all clean and shiny....

For the stubborn labels, I rake them with a fork to cut grooves in the paper before dropping them in a hot bath. If the labels are still won't come off, then I throw them out.

For the really stubborn labels that nothing else works for, I use sand paper after soaking them. Sand the label away, and then give it a scrub with a steel scourer before soaking it and rinsing it out well. Works like a charm.

I think they're some kind of foil label. I did the same recently, and some of the bottles had had lancaster bomber in them, the labels just refused to come off. I managed to get a corner up on one of them after a lot of picking at it, and it was shiny underneath, and it refused to come off any further! Could've had at it with a razor blade I s'pose, but not really worth the effort. Into the recycling they went...

Back