The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Increasing carbonation of already bottled beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
DNW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Increasing carbonation of already bottled beer

Ok, I made a mistake calculating the amount of priming sugar I needed in my Dunkelweizen (I left Beersmiths bottling temperature at the default 68°, so I only used about half what I should have. They've been bottled almost two months and I am sure they are carbed as much as they will be). Since I just got some Munton's Carb Tabs I thought it would be a simple thing to pop the top, drop in two tabs and re-cap. Unh uh! Can you say "gusher"?!! Maybe, if I was really fast, and had someone helping me, I could drop them in and get the cap sealed before much foam came out...

So, is there any feasible way of upping the carb level? As I am writing I just realized it would help if I chilled them first.... Any other tips?

-David

Brew on...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

right off hand i would say leave them alone and remember for next time. as soon as you pop the top you will start losing bubbles. if you add to many carb tabs you run the risk of exploding your bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply