Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Inaccurate pressure gauge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
plumber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Inaccurate pressure gauge?

Just got my kegging kit set up two weeks ago and I think my regulator is incorrect. My tap is 2ft above the keg, fridge is at 38, 6ft of 3/16 line and the regulator is at 14.5 psi. I feel the beer is still not carbed enough. According to the balencing charts for about 2.7 vol I should only need 13.3 psi. I get a great pour from the tap with no foam so I know everyting is balanced but I'm nervous to keep turning up the psi. Every time I've adjusted it I have waited 2-3 days to retry and I still think it should be higher for me. Any thoughts about keep turning up the pressure?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Did you initially carb it at 14.5 and then leave it for a few days for the CO2 to dissolve? Also, try turning down your pouring pressure. I dispense at 7psi and that is great, any higher and it foams to much tends to lose carbonation faster.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
plumber
Recipes 

I had it at 13.5 at the begining for 7 days before I tried it. I have made two adjustments since letting it sit for 2-3 days and have not noticed a big difference. How do you mean turn down the pouring pressure?

Old 06-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You're not going to notice a carbonation change in two days, especially when the pressure increase is only a few PSI more. I actually suggest that you leave it where it is for another couple days. There's a slight chance the pressure gauge is a little off. What's the range on it, 0-60psi?

If you're growing impatient, you can jack the pressure to 20psi for half a day, then purge the keg and drop it back down. That should boost you up quicker than waiting for equilibrium.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply