Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Importance of Belgian style bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Rundorig76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Importance of Belgian style bottles?

I am ready to bottle my first belgian strong ale and I have another fermenting away. Do I have to use belgian style bottles with corks and a cage for carbonation purposes or is that just tradition? Will normal beer bottles or the swing tops work okay without the possiblity of bottle bombs? The first batch I used 1388 wyeast and it says online it can produce carbonation for an extened period of time. I just wanna be safe as I am a noob at belgians still

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Its partly tradition and partly because of the high carb level of most belgians. The heavy bottles can hold the cork and beer pressure better. I have found swing tops unreliable, so I probably wouldn't use those for a beer like this.

Its also pretty cool to pop a cork of your own beer.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Typically belgian beers have a lot more carbonation than most other styles. If you're going to bottle with "normal" amounts of priming sugar then you're definitely fine with normal bottles. If you are planning on bottling to the high belgian carb levels then you might consider the bottle and cap you're using.

As long as you've hit final gravity then the only other fermentables left in the beer at bottling time will be your priming sugar which will be the primary determining factor in your bottle decision.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Rundorig76
Recipes 

Thanks for the info ill pick up some belgian bottles, I don't want any bombs after all the time spent fermenting, that would be a crime against beerkind everywhere!

Quick Reply