Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Im pissed my kegged beer is foamy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
MuddyCreek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I have had a number of 'overfoam' issues when I try to force carb at high pressure too. I have just decided to simply be patient for a few days and let the beer pressurize at 12 or so psi, then bleed it and move the pressure to 8. I try to have a few beers set aside for the few days I'm waiting for the beer to carb slowly. It seems every time I try to 'speed carb' my beer it just gets too foamy. I haven't found I have to wait a full 10 days to get decent carbonation. 4 or 5 is usually sufficient for me. I also don't start carbing until the beer is cold.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
Albadia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How many have you pulled?

Just tapped my first keg last night as well on a very similar setup and I noticed the first... 4-5? ish.. glasses had a lot of foam. As I worked through the next 2-3 it settled down to normal for me.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
Southern_Junior
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

See the thing that is weird is on Saturday, it took about four beers and then it settled down. Then I went to pull a beer on Monday night and the foam was back!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

yeah, you just pushed too much CO2 in at 40 psi. I would turn off the gas, purge your keg then purge it a couple of more times over the next 12-24 hours. Then re-apply about 12psi and let it sit.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
Southern_Junior
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

So I tried everything y'all suggested. The only thing I can figure is that I have a bum reg. I set the reg to one setting and it refused to hold a consistent pressure in hose. So I'm hoping that the new regulator will be what I nee to fix the issue.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Junior
So I tried everything y'all suggested. The only thing I can figure is that I have a bum reg. I set the reg to one setting and it refused to hold a consistent pressure in hose. So I'm hoping that the new regulator will be what I nee to fix the issue.
The reg is fine. It wont hold pressure because you overcarbed it initially. Read the keg carbing illustrated thread that is stickied. Dont ask the lhbs for kegging advice anymore.
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Junior View Post
See the thing that is weird is on Saturday, it took about four beers and then it settled down. Then I went to pull a beer on Monday night and the foam was back!
This means that either the carbonation level is still higher than the level corresponding to your serving pressure, or the lines and faucet are significantly warmer than the beer. My guess, based on how you carbed it, is the first one.

And +1 to not getting any more kegging advice from that LHBS.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
Trey57
Recipes 

I second that it isn't your regulator - highly improbable unless you remember banging the hell out of it recently. Try increasing your liquid line to 12 feet of 3/16" ID. Keeping your pint glass in the freezer also helps reduce C02 escaping solution when it hits your glass.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I agree that a long serving line would reduce the symptoms but it's likely more highly carbed than you'd really want. I'd turn the gas off or disconnect that keg and pull the vent a couple times over the course of a few hours. THEN set the reg to 10psi, hook it up and give it a try. Pour an ounce and knock it back, then fill a pint.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4918 Times on 3567 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I agree that a long serving line would reduce the symptoms but it's likely more highly carbed than you'd really want. I'd turn the gas off or disconnect that keg and pull the vent a couple times over the course of a few hours. THEN set the reg to 10psi, hook it up and give it a try. Pour an ounce and knock it back, then fill a pint.
I agree. 40 psi for 24 hours overcarbed the keg, and it's still foamy because it's trying to equalize. To solve, turn off the gas and pull the pressure relief all the time. Then, the next morning set the psi at 10-11 psi and let it sit.

It's a pain to fix an overcarbed keg, so it's easier to carb with "set it and forget it" methods- like set it at 11 psi and walk away for a week. But in huge hurry, I've had good luck with setting it at 30 psi for 36 hours (for a warm keg that is stuck into the kegerator) or for 24 hours (for an already cold keg) and then pulling the pressure relief valve and setting it at 12 psi. It's not perfect, but it's the only way I've found that won't overcarb the beer.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS