Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I'm a little nervous... Just placed an order with KegConnection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Iqbal624
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I'm a little nervous... Just placed an order with KegConnection

So....
My wife got me a brewing kit for Xmas... Since then, I've brewed two beers and both are fermenting at the moment. I've kind of got into this really quick and really far. Meaning, my wife gave me another $200 budget because I wanted to start kegging instead of doing the bottles. I don't have patience for bottling and I know that.

So I figured for $200 I could get one keg, maybe two. Well.... I ended up buying a mini fridge, a two tap tower setup with the Taprite double regulator to allow for two different pressures, two perlick taps (one creamer because my wife loves porter) and two kegs and a co2 tank.

What I'm worried about is that I just WAAY blew the budget...
I'm hoping brewing is something I stick to because I really have committed financially to it.

Please give me some reassurance that it's going to be ok!

Keg 2: Chinook IPA
Keg 3: Air

On Deck: Anay Black IPA

Batches attempted: 3

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You should've bottled your first two batches and saw them through to the end before committing like that but you're already in with both feet so keep on keeping on.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Iqbal624
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
You should've bottled your first two batches and saw them through to the end before committing like that but you're already in with both feet so keep on keeping on.
I really thought of that but having 100 beer bottles around and then sanitizing and filling etc etc just seemed too tedious to someone with my add tendencies...

We'll see what happens. Hopefully she won't cut my balls off...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's jumped in like this right?
Keg 2: Chinook IPA
Keg 3: Air

On Deck: Anay Black IPA

Batches attempted: 3

Old 01-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Worst case scenario - you have to sell all the kegging equipment. You should easily be able to get back your money minus the $200 budget. So you are ok

Kegging stuff keeps getting more and more expensive, so at the very least its a good investment

Old 01-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
troub
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As long as she doesn't kill you before you can make more beer, you'll be fine.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
markmc40
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Worst case scenario - you have to sell all the kegging equipment. You should easily be able to get back your money minus the $200 budget. So you are ok

Kegging stuff keeps getting more and more expensive, so at the very least its a good investment
I agree with the good investment. You also got the good stuff which will move quick if you ever change your mind. i.e. Perlicks, Taprite, etc.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
derte
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just take good care of, your turn around on that used equipment should bring you most if not all your money...

I love brewing and I stictly keg.... LOVE IT. I hopped into kegging before all grain. I am mostly satisfied with partial mash and extract brewing.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I've been brewing for a few years and have never bottled a single beer (aside from off the keg). I think jumping into kegging right off the bat will allow you to enjoy the hobby much more. I know i wouldn't look forward to bottling 50+ beers every few weeks.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I brewed and bottled 1 batch before switching to kegging. Then, kegged a whole 2 batches before building a kegerator. Haven't looked back since. Now, I'll only bottle a 6'er every once and a while once I find those few recipes that I have to have on tap at all times. If your wife lets you have the money to do it, go for it. You won't regret jumping in with both feet. Good luck!

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
troub
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritsak View Post
I've been brewing for a few years and have never bottled a single beer (aside from off the keg). I think jumping into kegging right off the bat will allow you to enjoy the hobby much more. I know i wouldn't look forward to bottling 50+ beers every few weeks.
The good part to this was that it was no problem for me to leave the beer alone (in primary) for at least a month to put off bottling. The result was some fantastic, and super clear, beer. Now that I'm kegging, and it only takes a few minutes to get the beer into a pre-cleaned keg...let's say I get antsy The solution is that I need to build up a keg pipeline like I had a bottle pipeline. I kicked the first keg before I expected to

Quick Reply