Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I'm going to start kegging! Help!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,489
Liked 80 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default I'm going to start kegging! Help!

Alright, so I decided to bite the bullet and start kegging. I've already got some ball lock cornies on the way. Now I need to get whatever else I need. I have volunteered to bring a keg of homebrew to a company Christmas party and really have no clue as to what I need to do it. I'd like to get whatever I need in order to keg and serve from the keg at the party, but will hold off on buying everything I need for a kegerator until I have a freezer for it. So I guess in addition to the kegs I need a CO2 tank (5, 10 or 20 lb?), a regulator, some lines? and some kind of faucet for the party? right? Is there a beginners guide somewhere? I'd like to buy the bare minimal right now. Help!

__________________

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

KingBrianI is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,738
Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Default

You might just want to buy a starter kit from one of the homebrew companies.

You need: Kegs, CO2 bottle with regulator, CO2 lines with fittings, and beer lines with fittings. Also, starsan or other sanitizer that plays well with stainless steel and keg lube.

__________________
Cpt_Kirks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Kilgore_Trout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 568
Default

Kegging Systems :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Midwest seems to have the best prices, I've been fighting off spending the cash on this for a while now .

$150 for a single keg kit or $200 for a dual. These are about as bare bones as they come, functional but no frills. The taps are the ones you usually see on hand-pump sanke kegs, little plastic thumb taps.

You could grab a CO2 tank locally for a bit less maybe and save on shipping, but that's about as cheap as they come.
__________________
Kilgore_Trout is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,738
Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post
Kegging Systems :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Midwest seems to have the best prices, I've been fighting off spending the cash on this for a while now .

$150 for a single keg kit or $200 for a dual. These are about as bare bones as they come, functional but no frills. The taps are the ones you usually see on hand-pump sanke kegs, little plastic thumb taps.

You could grab a CO2 tank locally for a bit less maybe and save on shipping, but that's about as cheap as they come.
Yeah, I bought their 2 keg system. I really like the dual regulator setup.
__________________
Cpt_Kirks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,195
Liked 585 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Default

How do you plan to carbonate your beer? Without a fridge or freezer for a kegerator, you'll need to find room in your normal fridge to chill...if you want to force carb. Room temperature kegs don't force carb well.

You could naturally prime the kegs with priming sugar...just like bottling.

Believe it or not, my rolling kegerator (link below) is pretty minimal in terms of investment. Plus, whatever you purchase can be used on your permanent kegerator.

BierMuncher is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Moonshae's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Helmetta, NJ
Posts: 418
Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Super cheap...$70. All you need is a keg and a way to keep it cold, and to get the CO2 tank filled. This place also sells a keglove and ice blanket combo that will do the trick.

Kegging System with NO Keg

__________________

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Moonshae is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
Kilgore_Trout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshae View Post
Super cheap...$70. All you need is a keg and a way to keep it cold, and to get the CO2 tank filled. This place also sells a keglove and ice blanket combo that will do the trick.

Kegging System with NO Keg
I was looking at this as well but had a couple concerns:

The kegs aren't reconditioned, so add the cost/hastle of new seals. They are tested to hold pressure but the seals are pretty gunky from what I've read.

They only include 3ft of beer line, which is way less than most folks recommend.

I would consider ordering from there if I heard good things, but there's a few posts around here that have turned me off to them, along with their terrible site.

If anyone with some experience wants to chime in I'm listening, would love to save the cash if the company's reputable.

EDIT: This is what I was looking at, $104.99 with a 4lb tank and Quick disconnects.
http://www.homebrewing.org/Homebrew-...m_p_24-69.html
__________________
Kilgore_Trout is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,489
Liked 80 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

thanks for the help everyone! i had been looking at the setups at midwest but wasnt sure what would work. i have a better idea now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
How do you plan to carbonate your beer? Without a fridge or freezer for a kegerator, you'll need to find room in your normal fridge to chill...if you want to force carb. Room temperature kegs don't force carb well.

You could naturally prime the kegs with priming sugar...just like bottling.

Believe it or not, my rolling kegerator (link below) is pretty minimal in terms of investment. Plus, whatever you purchase can be used on your permanent kegerator.

i was going to let it carb in my garage, which stays pretty cool this time of year. i haven't decided yet whether to set it to serving pressure and wait or to force carb at a higher pressure for a few days then drop it down to serving pressure when it's carbed. the party is mid-December so I've got some time. i was going to make something similar to EdWort's Haus Pale Ale since its something most people can enjoy and he only ferments for 7-10 days, cold-crashes then kegs.
__________________

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

KingBrianI is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
conpewter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East Dundee, Illinois
Posts: 5,122
Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Garage could be a bit of a problem. The amount of Co2 in solution is related to temperature. So if you set it at 12 PSI at 33 degrees you get 2.8 volumes and at 50 degrees you have 2 volumes of Co2. So depending on how stable the temperatures are it could work out.

__________________

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

conpewter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
ChrisS68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 564
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post
I was looking at this as well but had a couple concerns:

The kegs aren't reconditioned, so add the cost/hastle of new seals. They are tested to hold pressure but the seals are pretty gunky from what I've read.

They only include 3ft of beer line, which is way less than most folks recommend.

I would consider ordering from there if I heard good things, but there's a few posts around here that have turned me off to them, along with their terrible site.

If anyone with some experience wants to chime in I'm listening, would love to save the cash if the company's reputable.

EDIT: This is what I was looking at, $104.99 with a 4lb tank and Quick disconnects.
Homebrew Kegging System
I don't recall hearing anything bad about them, and the price sure is right. Just yesterday I received the very same system (with the tank and disconnects) and all is as advertised, not to mention the super-fast shipping. I haven't opened it to check the inside yet, but the used keg they sent appears to be in better condition than the "reconditioned" one that I got from the LHBS. It came holding pressure and has no dents. I do think it was marked "Made in Italy". I'm not sure what constitutes a good regulator, but it's there and is new. Obviously the 4# CO2 cylinder is non-standard. As has been mentioned elsewhere on this site, it looks to be a converted oxygen tank, so you'll have to find someplace to get it refilled as you probably won't be able to swap it out anywhere. I called a nearby fire-extinguisher service and they quoted about $12.00 for 5 pounds. My tank is quite current with a date of 7/08 stamped on it.

So-far I'm very happy. Now I just need some beer to keg up (I'm behind in my brewing right now). One thing to keep in mind is that Jason over there at A in H seems to do his e-mail correspondence in the evenings, so if you e-mail them, don't get too concerned if you don't get a response right-away.

Chris
__________________
ChrisS68 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to start kegging but... jonbrout Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 21 03-29-2010 12:36 PM
Is it to early to start Kegging? Wildrebel Bottling/Kegging 20 11-03-2009 04:01 PM
Why did I start kegging?! rsmith179 Bottling/Kegging 7 06-14-2009 02:01 PM
is this pretty much all I would need to start kegging? ApolloSpeed Bottling/Kegging 11 02-13-2009 08:14 PM
Start-up Kegging Kit illin8 Bottling/Kegging 6 06-05-2008 08:51 PM