Im getting to much head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewboy04

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having the above problem with my new keg set up. I recently moved to kegging and have not been able to get it right . I am at the stage where I have it in the keg and eventing set up but when I turn the tap i get foam .I have it set to approximate 10 psi with 10 foot of 3/8 beer line.

can anyone help!

Hi,

I am having the above problem with my new keg set up. I recently moved to kegging and have not been able to get it right . I am at the stage where I have it in the keg and eventing set up but when I turn the tap i get foam .I have it set to approximate 10 psi with 10 foot of 3/8 beer line.

can anyone help!

You mean 3/16" beer line? You need 10' of 3/16".

Has it always been at 10 psi at fridge temperatures? Or was it higher than that before?

^ this and did you carbonate at a higher psi? Are your lines a lot warmer than the rest of the keezer or whatever you're using?

I think I have the wrong hose diameter, will change it and let use know how I get on

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

i had the too much head issue when I first started kegging. A lot of stuff I read swore by 10-12 psi serving pressure but it just didn't work for me. Probably because I was only using 5 ft of 3/16 line but it was all I had and I wanted beer now!
I now force carb at 20 psi for a few days and then serve at 5 psi and I get a great pour with the line length. Maybe when it's time to buy new line I'll get a longer one but it's working fine for now.

I had my share of issues with this and what I found it's typically more than one thing so just do it all correctly and be satisfied its working.

Here are some things to consider, I'll leave out the technical explanations because it can be done better by someone else.

1. Temperature: Beer, line and tap all need to be the same temp and cold. If the line and tap are warmer than the beer, you will always get a foamy first pour and also between servings until the beer cools the lines and tap again. The reverse can be true too, I have a lot of foam issues for the first 24 hours with store bought kegs because they keep their beer around 50 degrees and my equipment is set for 40. To solve the line and tap issue I mounted my taps right into my keezer so they stay cold except for the outside part of the faucet.

2. Over Carb'ing: My home-brews are always carb'd perfectly for my system because I hook it up at serving PSI (10-12) and just leave it for a couple weeks. If you are force carb'ing at a high PSI or doing the shake method you risk over carb'ing and will get foam.

3. Dirty taps: Take them completely apart and clean them really well. You'd be surprised what you might find in there.

4. Balanced System: Each foot of line adds resistance and counters the the serving PSI. You want your beer to leave the tap at 0'ish-1 PSI so you need enough tubing to reduce the pressure at the tap to virtually nothing. 3/16ID beer line reduces pressure by approx. 2 PSI per foot. 10-12 PSI at 40 degrees gives me the amount of CO2 volume I want so I have about 5 feet of beer line between my keg and tap which works out perfect for me. I also try not to let the beer line dip below the fluid level of the keg by coiling it up on top. Not sure if it makes a difference but I do it anyway.

If you want to keep force carb'ing at 20, I'd suggest lowering it back to 10-12 when done, then release some pressure on the keg to get it to 10-12, and maybe do that again each day for a couple days until the beer pressure regulator pressure are equal.

Im still new to this and hope I gave you good info but if not others will correct me I'm sure :). Also I'm sure others can give you way more technical explanations for this but paying attention to those things helped me.

David

so guys I have moved to the 3/16 line (10 foot) and same problem. its beer in the line but when it hits the tap its foam. This is serving at 10psi, I think the tap may be broke as it seems to leak when above 3-4psi(foam comes out the tap) I will replace it and go from there...... I get head with my beer and still complain !!!

Where is the beer coming out of the tap? Could it be that the ring or whatever its called just needs to be tightened? If you don't have the tool, you can use channel lock pliers and a towel so you don't mar it up.

David

Back