Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I'm done with Bottling!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Daver77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default I'm done with Bottling!

Ok, I absolutely hate bottling. In fact I have 2 beers in my basement from 2 months ago sitting in the chamber waiting to be bottled.

I have an extra fridge that I can use as a Kegerator. I'm planing on having the facet come out right on the facing of the door rather than doing a fancy tower set up and with just one tap. I'd also like to rig something simple for mobile use.

What can you guys recommend as far as equipment goes. I'm looking to save here and there but also looking to buy right the first time.

As for a regulator I don't even know where to start.
I do have a ball lock keg and am getting more.

Bring a pitcher of beer every seven minutes until somebody passes out and then bring one every 10 minutes . . .” – Thornton Mellon, Back to School

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 184

For a regulator I like Taprite. A ten pount co2 tank cost me 20$ to swap and my 20lb tanks cost 24$ to swap, FYI. Don't get attached to the tank, AKA buy used or know it's a pain to get the same tank filled. Most places swap tanks. I use Airgas. Later get a smaller co2 tank for mobile use.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I would suggest a dual regulator so you can serve off one and burst carb and serve off the other. When I did mine, I put two faucets through the side of the refrigerator. The equipment will add up fast, but right now all you need to go with the keg you have is a co2 tank, regulator, quick disconnect gas line and quick disconnect party tap (if you don't want to invest in a faucet yet).

Old 02-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
For a regulator I like Taprite. A ten pount co2 tank cost me 20$ to swap and my 20lb tanks cost 24$ to swap, FYI. Don't get attached to the tank, AKA buy used or know it's a pain to get the same tank filled. Most places swap tanks. I use Airgas. Later get a smaller co2 tank for mobile use.
I just bought a kegerator conversion kit that comes with a new co2 tank and I am having a hard time finding a place that will fill the tank rather than swap. I paid for a brand new tank and it looks like I may not get to keep it.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Try a fire extinguisher place.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
EO74
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
I just bought a kegerator conversion kit that comes with a new co2 tank and I am having a hard time finding a place that will fill the tank rather than swap. I paid for a brand new tank and it looks like I may not get to keep it.
Yeah i thought the same thing but a local fire extingisher place refils co2 for kegerators

Old 02-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsojos View Post
Try a fire extinguisher place.
I kind of live in a remote location so it's hard to find those places.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
mikescooling
Recipes 

Their are some up sides to swapping tanks. If you want to switch gasses (like for beer gas) it's no big deal. Also it's faster to swap tanks, run in and out. And if they don't have the size you need they may up grade you. I'm a heating and A/C guy who welds, I know tanks. Tanks are there to make people money, or in this case serve beer. When you swap tanks make sure to get a hydro test date newer than the last tank you traded in.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
Their are some up sides to swapping tanks. If you want to switch gasses (like for beer gas) it's no big deal. Also it's faster to swap tanks, run in and out. And if they don't have the size you need they may up grade you. I'm a heating and A/C guy who welds, I know tanks. Tanks are there to make people money, or in this case serve beer. When you swap tanks make sure to get a hydro test date newer than the last tank you traded in.
What's a hydro test?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
mikescooling
Recipes 

Every 5 years co2 tanks need hydrostatic testing. If you keep a tank and the hydro date is past due, it's an additional 20$ fee. It's only a pain if they try to give me a tank that will take me years to use up, and the hydro date is next month. Many steel tanks have been in use for a hundred years and have a crap load of hydro stamps. A new tank is stamped on the neck and will look like 02-13 That means you have 5 years before the next test.

Quick Reply