I'm afraid I may have bottle bombs. What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilGnome6

Reaction score
I brewed this recipe on 8/9/2009:

The Golden Dragon
Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Batch Size: 5.00 gal

Ingredients:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
12.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4.69 %
4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.56 %
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 18.75 %
1 Pkgs Flanders Golden Ale (Wyeast Labs #3739) Yeast-Ale

Measured Original Gravity: 1.095 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.024 SG

This batch got a stuck fermentation. It stalled out at about 1.048. I added some yeast energizer and it stopped again at 1.046. Then I pitched a 1L starter of washed yeast from the primary. It got going again and stopped at 1.024 and stayed there for at least a week. Since BeerSmith had an estimated FG of 1.027, I figured it was within range so I bottled it.

I had a similarly slow-fermenting batch a few months before and it failed to carbonate so I decided to pitch some fresh yeast at bottling time. I made another 1L starter, let it ferment out and dropped 100mL from the starter in with 5 oz. of cane sugar for priming. The batch was bottled on 10/18/2009.

Half the batch was bottled in 500mL swing tops and the other half was bottled in 12oz bottles and capped with a Colonna capper (First time using the Colonna). One of the oddities with the Colonna capper is that it leaves an indentation in the middle of the cap. Last week I noticed this:

b65be83afaee__1257852160000.jpg

The one on the left is a bottle from a different batch I capped two days ago. The one on the right is a bottle of The Golden Dragon. When I saw that, I remembered a post by BigKanhuna:

Nope...They all get it.
If they start to poke back up...you might consider opening those bottles....it's a sign of over carbonation.

Uh-Oh...

Sunday night I opened one of the swing tops and it had a pretty good pop (not much greater than some of my other beers) and good carbonation but it didn't seem excessive.

I'm getting worried. The popped up indentation is a bit of an ominous sign but I don't have any other carbonated Colonna-capped bottles for comparison to know if it's normal (at least with these caps - I'm using the oxygen scavenging type).

The other fact that concerns me is that my attenuation was 71.58% and that's below the rated attenuation of 74-78% given by Wyeast.

Am I being paranoid? Should I wait it out a few weeks to see if the indentations pop up on the new batch to verify if it's normal? Should I gear up and dispose of the whole batch? Should I carefully open and recap them? Help me HomeBrewTalk.com, you're my only hope.

At 1.024, the FG should be ok. It's a bit on the high end, but I've bottled beers at 1.026 and not had any bottle bombs.

How much priming sugar did you use?

Open on slowly over a sink. If it gushes like a freaking geyser, you may have some bottle bombs. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

How much priming sugar did you use?

I used 5 oz. of cane sugar.

Open on slowly over a sink. If it gushes like a freaking geyser, you may have some bottle bombs. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I opened one up on Sunday (after chilling overnight) and it didn't gush. It was pretty generously carbed but no more than some of my other brews.

When I get a little nervous on my batches (every so often), I just put the cases of the potential gushers in a big black trash bag. That way, if one, or two, or ten go off, the mess is at least halfway contained. That way you can at least sleep a little better. I agree with Ohiobrewtus though, I think you'll be fine here...

I opened one up on Sunday (after chilling overnight) and it didn't gush. It was pretty generously carbed but no more than some of my other brews.

the chilling probably lowered the pressure in the bottle. check a warm bottle. if you do have potential bottle bombs would uncap then recap all the potential explosives.

Back