Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Igloo Kegerator at Walmart - $369

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #81
skunkbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I'm between this and converting the Holiday 7 cu. ft. Any feedback?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #82
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkbo View Post
I'm between this and converting the Holiday 7 cu. ft. Any feedback?
Which Holiday model? I'm struggling with the same question of buying or DIY.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #83
gauvinej
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

I ended up buying a used tower that looks very similar to the one on this kegerator. Is it a 2.5" tower? I painted mine white but the drip tray looks the same as well. I found a way I could make it into a 3 tap tower. Hope this helps everyone out.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/2-5-...roject-372679/

Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #84
Dan2539
Recipes 

I decided to go a different route since I only want two taps. I've searched the forums after the poster above me suggested the sleeve extending the tower to three taps. Looks like you can make a 2.5 inch tower into two taps with a little finesse.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/2-fa...-tower-313516/

I bought another 2.5 inch tower to work with that should fit the locking coupler that comes with the fridge so I won't have to make any mods on the fridge like drilling. If I had used the original draft tower, I could have drilled new flange holes to accommodate a 45 degree turn of the tower instead of a 90 (there are only four holes on the tower flange). The tower is cheap, and if I ever have any problems with the keggerator, I can always return it unmodified with the original tower.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BN...sr=8-2&pi=SL75

I'll see where this goes, it would be nice to keep the fridge as stock as possible. I'll keep you guys updated.

A word of warning though, unlike Star-San or Idophor, Dijon Mustard is NOT a no-rinse sanitizer. I learned this the hard way, though I have to say the resulting Mustard Porter was pretty snappy. The hops juxtaposed against the horseradish was very nice, though possibly a touch out of the style guidelines.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #85
gauvinej
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thats the thread I used to make mine a 2 tap last spring, but this fall i realized I could fit a pin lock converted to a ball lock on the hump of the back of mine (not an igloo). So 3 faucets became a requirement. Let me know how it works out for you I am looking at one of these igloos for a buddy of mine.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #86
Dan2539
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauvinej
Thats the thread I used to make mine a 2 tap last spring, but this fall i realized I could fit a pin lock converted to a ball lock on the hump of the back of mine (not an igloo). So 3 faucets became a requirement. Let me know how it works out for you I am looking at one of these igloos for a buddy of mine.
I was wondering how you handled placement of the elbow shanks in your tower so they wouldn't hit each other. Did you bend the shanks in order to have them cross past each other. The thread I consulted about another 2.5" draft tower mod didn't indicate if these was any modifications done to the shanks. I was almost considering using these if they were stainless steel : http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?...oducts_id=1758
A word of warning though, unlike Star-San or Idophor, Dijon Mustard is NOT a no-rinse sanitizer. I learned this the hard way, though I have to say the resulting Mustard Porter was pretty snappy. The hops juxtaposed against the horseradish was very nice, though possibly a touch out of the style guidelines.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #87
gauvinej
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I used the original elbow shank and the part you are showing. I did bend the elbow shank because the link still got in the way.

How well does the Igloo cool? Does the tower get cold or did everyone have to install fans? I had a cheap kegerator before and had to install the fans for tower cooling.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #88
Dan2539
Recipes 

It's not very cold up in the tower. I may be doing a fan mod to the tower at some point. Were those stainless steel shanks you bent? I imagine they are going to be very brittle and hard to bend. I did pick up an Oetiker clamper to cut down on the space used by clamps. That shank I posted in my last post does look tempting if its all SS.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #89
mblowers
Recipes 

I received one of these for Christmas. I think the compressor is very loud when running (knocking/pinging). It's much louder than mini fridges's I've had. Hopefully they are not all like this...

Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #90
Jsherm007
Recipes 

Default FBR200 issues

So I have this. I have been trying to get a Yuengling keg to pour correctly....

I get foam out the wazu. I have taken apart the thermostat and turned the red screw about 4-6 revs (approx) to the right (clockwise) the best temp has got is 39F. I have a tower fan, and the tower has condensation, so I know it's chilling.

I get 80% foam with all PSI's between 5-14. If I use the lower PSI I get 30% foam but flatter beer.

I also have ice build up on inside coils, but don't know how to make this go away. I thought compressor ran excessively until I read this thread. The unit is 4-5" from wall, well ventalated.

Very frustrated.

Quick Reply