Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Igloo Kegerator at Walmart - $369

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #61
PrimalBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I've measured the hole, but I am not sure of the diameter of the tower shaft. For a 3" tower is it less than 3? Or do I just need room for the lines. I have about 2" diameter now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #62
OmahaVike
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I didn't have to redrill the stock hole, and I have a liquid cooled 3 tap tower (3 beer lines coming down and two copper liquid lines). I *did* have to drill mounting holes for the new tower, though. I tried simple long screws, but the top is so weak that it quickly pulled the screws out while pulling back on the tap handles. Therefore, I took 6" (I think) long bolts, and drilled them all the way through to the interior of the unit, so the tower is bolted to the unit.

Back to the question, in my case I didn't need to redrill the hole, only mounting points for the new tower. For my particular tower, anything below the mounting plate is either beer line, copper tubing, or insulation, so there's no reason to really need to bore out anything else. I only CHOSE to drill a new hole so that the tap was centered on the unit since I added the vertical collar.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #63
PrimalBrewer
Recipes 

Excellent, thanks! I'll go ahead and just bolt a small tower down and call it a day (two tap uncooled). I'll link some pics of the result in case it will help anyone else.

On a side note, do you think adding that interior insulation did much for you?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #64
OmahaVike
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Insulation... Yes, but only for the vertical collar. From what I've read, wood is not a very good insulator. I wouldn't have considered any additional insulation if I were sticking with only the stock fridge.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #65
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Saw this is on sale for $299 with free shipping at Walmart right now. If I bought it, would I need any conversion stuff to use it with ball lock homebrew kegs?

Primary: Nelson Sauvin Saison
Secondary/Aging: ECY01 Sour
In bottles: Mango sour, Lambic, Brett tripel, Sour brown, Brett L/B Porter
Kegged: Hefeweizen

Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #66
Rooster286
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, assuming 2 kegs, you'll need new gas line, new beer line, quick disconnects - 4 total (2 gas, 2 liquid), the proper nipple for the regulator to hook up your new gas line, a picnic tap for the second keg, a "T" to split the gas line into two from the regulator (or a proper 2,3,4 line gas manifold if you don't want to be cheap like me).

This kegerator will hold 3 ball locks without modification (what I run it with now, so if you plan on running 3 kegs, up the parts list accordingly). I also HIGHLY recommend a container of damp rid (or something like the EvaDry 3000) to remove excess condensation, otherwise you'll get lots of frost on the chilling plate very quickly, especially if you are using picnic taps on your other kegs and opening it up often.

Be very careful with the regulator, mine was leaky as hell and it took me two bottles of CO2 to figure out where. Since it's a pretty cheap regulator, I actually sealed it up with epoxy at the connections and it works perfectly now. The kegerator will hold a 5lb CO2 tank on the hump with 3 kegs too, should you ever want to upgrade.

The "keg" components of this are pretty cheesy, but for 300 bucks you can't go wrong.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #67
Rooster286
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh one other thing, assuming you have the chilling plate free of excessive frost, I have no trouble keeping 3 kegs at 39 degrees at the lowest. If for some reason you like your beer colder, you can take apart the temp dial and set it even lower, but I have no experience with this.

It's posted earlier in the thread that someone didn't think 3 ball locks would fit without modification (and included 3 cardboard mockups which don't completely fit on the floor...they neglected to include the fact that the door is bowed out and gives you another 3.5. inches of usable space, so a third will fit fine. I'm not sure with pin lock since I think they are shorter but fatter, but ball lock will definitely work.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #68
dbatech99
Recipes 

I bought this also at Walmart. $299+ tax shipped to my door.

So you have 3 ball lock cornies fitting for sure? That's awesome.

Can you link me to the 3 tap tower you are using? Did you have to make any special modifications to get the tower to fit?

Is there any way you could post pix of your setup? Thanks!

Also, I had a danby years ago I purchased from Sams club for about $200 more than this one. I ended up taking it back because the compressor didn't kick on until too broad of a temperature swing. The beer would foam badly. Are there any mods anyone can suggest to make this more useable. Perhaps a PC fan to blow the cold air into the tower?

Thanks for any help!

J

Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #69
Rooster286
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I only have the single tower it came wtih, and I use two picnic taps for the other two kegs in there (yes I currently have 3 ball lock kegs in there). I have a 5lb CO2 tank as well on the hump and I think a growler or two up there as well. Not at home now, but if I get the chance I'll add a picture.

If you ever upgrade the tower you will have to drill the hole out...the single tap uses some proprietary "snap in" system which is a MASSIVE bitch to get on with the gasket. One thing I forgot to mention, apparently when this first came out, the gasket for the tap had three holes in it (which line up to three holes in the tower mounting hole, presumably to prevent a vaccum lock when you're trying to attach it. For some reason (most likely sourcing from other suppliers), the newer kegerators have gaskets that have no holes. A friend and I both bought this and both struggled for over an hour trying to get it on with the gasket before I found an old manual online that showed a 3 hole gasket. I used a hole punch to punch my own and it went on in about 30 seconds.

From what I've read, drilling out the tower is pretty easy as long as you have the proper tools, shouldn't take more than an hour to install a new tap if you go that route.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #70
TheDawg28
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My children bought me a Igloo Kegerator from Wal-Mart this year for Christmas. Yes I already know I have awesome children. Anyway Im not having much luck with the regulator. First off let me explain it. It has a red knob on it that has a + and - on it which is self explanatory. It barely turns and is hard as hell to turn. Below that is a red switch that turn a quarter turn, like its a shut off. But that doesnt seem to change anything at all. It seems no matter what I do it stays right at 10psi. Any suggestions of what im doing wrong?

I love poptarts and beer.....not necessarily in that order.

Quick Reply