The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Igloo Kegerator at Walmart - $369

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #31
anp206
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

have been looking at purchasing this kegerator as well, does it come with shelves? I am going to have to use it as a actual fridge for a couple months (I think that will turn into a few days though because a kegerator without beer is sad )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #32
OmahaVike
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

3gal on hump? Dunno, but I think the dimensions I gave in the first post should cover it, non? I know it'll fit a 5 lb co2 tank.

Shelves -- yes, there are two wire shelves. 16.25 x 17.75 & 12 x 17.75

Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #33
OmahaVike
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I hope nobody minds if I document this fridge's exploits without their prompt...

The model is FRB200

So, I was a little disappointed that I could only get the unit down to 40 degrees. So, in doing my normal research, I decided to take apart the temp control unit.

I unscrewed the control box from the top of the fridge, and discovered that (indeed!) there are wires going through the top of the unit (see image below)

http://imgur.com/CsJSd

I thought I could see some kind of screw under one of the wires, but couldn't get to it because of the plastic housing. The only way to get the plastic housing off was to pry the knob off (see image below)

http://imgur.com/U5Zi4

Now I see one lone screw, with some red wax over it. I'm guessing this is it. Must be. (see below)

http://imgur.com/XRPdJ

So, I turned the screw 180 degrees (1/2 full turn) every couple of hours and logged what temperature it dropped to. Well, it took 4.5 full turns to drop it to 37 degrees. That seemed like a lot compared to what other people were reporting on other fridges and I truly hope I don't burn out a motor or compressor.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #34
twobrain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

price drop? $339.00
free shipping to store

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-...?fwcs=ta492444

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-6.0-...78893952321160

Old 05-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #35
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2954 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2493

Ball Locks are 8 1/2" diameter, right? So I wonder if it's possible to get 3 ball lock kegs in there. I don't think this model is in stock in my local walmarts (I just checked) or I'd go there with some cardboard footprints and see for myself.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #36
JohnnyChimpo
Recipes 

I am taking a swing at this. I will post back when it arrives.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #37
OmahaVike
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ya, at that price, it's really hard to beat.

since I last posted, here's where my exploits have taken me....

1) I installed a three tap tower. I drilled a 3" hole about the same depth FROM THE FRONT as it was originally from the rear. No cold lines (read prior posts of mine).

2) Swapped door swing from left to right.

3) My tower is liquid cooled, so added a water jug in the back (add salt to avoid freezing!) and have a cheapo aquarium pump to circulate up into the tower.

4) Added a PC fan. Actually, this is my third in there. I tried one of those (approx 9" diam) big case fans and it really didn't move a lot of air. I installed a 40mm that I had lying around, and velcro'd it to the ceiling and pointed it to the cooling plate. The smaller ones actually do a better job than than huge ones, i'm guessing because they push more punch in a smaller area.

5) I ended up dialing the screw back a few full turns, simply out of paranoia.

6) here's the biggie: shortly after posting my last update, I added a 9.75" vertical collar. that adds a lot of space to this unit, and increases the cooling demand, but i haven't had a problem with the fridge keeping up with the cooling yet. in fact, it's been sitting at 34 - 36 for weeks (using a professional remote meat thermometer i normally use for my smoker).

Sorry, but for the ball-n-lock poster, i currently have three kegs in this baby (a european half barrel (technically 50l), and two sixths), so I can't measure for you until we drink it dry. My gut feeling is that it will handle it. Refer back to my original post for measurements.

Gotta say, I've probably dumped a total of a $800 or so into it, and I blow everyone's mind having a three tap system. now... only if yuengling would expand their distribution area, we'd be in some serious trouble!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #38
geonjay
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks OmahaVike for keeping us posted. Can you post some pics of the collar? Was it fairly straight forward considering the how easily you were able to remove the plastic top? I think I'm going to grab one of these asap. I only have a need for 2 cornies at the moment.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #39
OmahaVike
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

not a problem, geonjay.

Here's a side shot, with my fabric cover pulled back. You'll see that I prefer bungie to ensure that the door remains closed. Those black strips are remnants of velcro that didn't work out so well. I used weatherstripping tape for the seal of the door.

http://imgur.com/30oBo

Here's a front shot (crappy, sorry!) of the collar with the door open and two sixtels in it.

http://imgur.com/0OGDZ

And finally, a shot that will display to everyone what kind of hack I am. You'll see that I'm using housing-siding insulation. I forget what F value, but I think it's only a 4. You'll also see that I have caulking to seal the gaps.

http://imgur.com/CMcw9

Everything you CANT see: Behind the sixtels, I have that european half barrel (wife insists that we have Stella on tap at all times - I married very well). Lying on top of that, I have the triple gauge regulator. Way on the back shelf, I have a 5 lb CO2 tank and a jug of water (to cool the tower).

The one thing I wish I would have done differently: I would have given a few more inches to the collar, so that I could have the regulator in the front of the unit.

Please keep in mind that this is my very first kegerator, and everything I've learned about modding them I have learned on these very boards, which I guess is why I'm contributing my own experiences back to the community.

As always, if you have further questions, PM me or drop a line out here on the thread. It may take me a few days to get back, but I will. Of course, if you end up getting this unit, post your experiences to this thread to help others.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #40
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2954 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2493

Thanks Omaha for keeping us up to date.

If you were to do it over again, would you move the tap tower forward into the collar?

Quick Reply