Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Igloo Kegerator at Walmart - $369

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Based on the conversion I did on my Vassini kegerator, you will need to:

- Replace the tower with a 3" diameter multi-tap. Once you get the kegerator, you can determine if 2 or three kegs will fit. If three will fit, I would guess one of the the three will have to be a three gallon keg sitting partially on the compressor hump. You WILL have to drill four holes in the top for the new tower.

- If you can fit a three gallon keg on the hump, you will need a little stand to hold it. I made one out of a bit of plywood and some 1x2 legs. Very easy.

- You might have to use the thermostat-coarse-adjustment-screw trick to get the temperature low enough.

- You will probably want to buy or make a tower fan to keep the tower and taps cold.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Henry22
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Trying to figure out if converting the igloo to a 2 or 3 tap system would be cheaper than taking a Sanyo and converting that to a kegerator 2/3 tap system.

Someone said they did their 2 tap Sanyo for 400 with Perlicks so I think that might be cheaper and also negates the whole building aspect because you have to drill the igloo for a new 3" tower.

Primary: Empty, soon to be Citra IPA
Drinking: Westbrook One Claw Rye PA and IPA, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'

Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
JoshuaW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry22 View Post
Trying to figure out if converting the igloo to a 2 or 3 tap system would be cheaper than taking a Sanyo and converting that to a kegerator 2/3 tap system.

Someone said they did their 2 tap Sanyo for 400 with Perlicks so I think that might be cheaper and also negates the whole building aspect because you have to drill the igloo for a new 3" tower.
If you can find the Sanyo for a good price, probably. IIRC, the Sanyo can do 2 5 gallons, and 1 3 gallon.

The hope I am holding out for the Igloo is that it can fit 3 5 gallons, possibly more. 6cuft is a LOT. I believe the Sanyo is 4.9cuft. That provides the potential for more room. Another plus for going for a per-configured kegerator is the fact that you do already have one tap. What I will probably do is use the stock equipment on the Igloo (you do have to buy the corny taps) until I can piece everything else together. Over the course of a month or two I can slowly buy a new manifold, new regulator, new tower, a larger C02 tank, and more kegs, and SWMBO wont even notice as the money trickles, and I can still enjoy having that first tap up.

Ultimately it is going to depend on your needs, and to some degree it may matter how many the Igloo can fit. If the Igloo can fit 3 five gallons and C02 (unlikely, but possible) then that is probably one of the largest fridges that we can use. If you dont want a keezer, that is also a big plus.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I think this is a damn good idea...anyone actually take the dive here? I'm seriously considering it.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
Henry22
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaW View Post
If you can find the Sanyo for a good price, probably. IIRC, the Sanyo can do 2 5 gallons, and 1 3 gallon.

The hope I am holding out for the Igloo is that it can fit 3 5 gallons, possibly more. 6cuft is a LOT. I believe the Sanyo is 4.9cuft. That provides the potential for more room. Another plus for going for a per-configured kegerator is the fact that you do already have one tap. What I will probably do is use the stock equipment on the Igloo (you do have to buy the corny taps) until I can piece everything else together. Over the course of a month or two I can slowly buy a new manifold, new regulator, new tower, a larger C02 tank, and more kegs, and SWMBO wont even notice as the money trickles, and I can still enjoy having that first tap up.

Ultimately it is going to depend on your needs, and to some degree it may matter how many the Igloo can fit. If the Igloo can fit 3 five gallons and C02 (unlikely, but possible) then that is probably one of the largest fridges that we can use. If you dont want a keezer, that is also a big plus.
That is true. I only work part time because I am a student so piecing it together over a couple of months sounds good. 6 cubic ft is a lot, I really hope it can fit 3 cornies, that would be ideal for 2 homebrewing and then one for commerical/cheap beer.

Does anyone have this and can attest to how many kegs it can fit?

Primary: Empty, soon to be Citra IPA
Drinking: Westbrook One Claw Rye PA and IPA, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'

Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #16
Shu5
Recipes 

I would love to hear reviews on this if anyone gets it. Anyone know if the co2 mounts on the back?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #17
JoshuaW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu5 View Post
I would love to hear reviews on this if anyone gets it. Anyone know if the co2 mounts on the back?
According to the post on the Walmart website, the tank is like 2.5lbs, so it is probably inside. I think the final interior size (or someone buying one) will be the only way to know what it is capable of, we can speculate all we want. I emailed the company when I bumped this thread, so we will have to see how/if they respond.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #18
Chaserb31
Recipes 

Can't wait for answer on # of corneys.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
JoshuaW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did some research, just to drive us all insane. All of the below models (excluding the Igloo, which we do not know for sure) can hold 3 5 gallons. I didnt note which needed the C02 on the outside, it probably is all of them. These are OUTSIDE dimmensions, since that is all we know about the Igloo unit. The size is very similar to the other units that can hold 3, so as long as it doesnt have a weird hump, it should be good for at least three.

(L x W x H)
Igloo 26.6 x 21.3 x 33.2
Haier 23.6875 x 23.9375 x 33.25
Danby 20.75 x 23.875 x 33
Sanyo 23.625 x 25 x 37

Old 01-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
Larzean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did anyone end up ordering this? If it will hold 2-3 would it be difficult to modify the tap to support that?

Quick Reply