Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Igloo Kegerator at Walmart - $369

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #111
Dan2539
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yup, have a second tap added but with an aftermarket tower I scored for cheap. I intend on posting pics very soon since my projects are nearly done on it. Just ran a temperature controller on the setup and have been messing around with that for a little while to determine my temp probe reading vs actual beer temp. I think the probe placement I have now works. I don't know about anyone else, but the thermostat on my unit really doesn't seem to make a significant difference turned from min to max. Hopefully this temp controller lets me really tune in on the temps I want for lagering and accurate carbonation.

A word of warning though, unlike Star-San or Idophor, Dijon Mustard is NOT a no-rinse sanitizer. I learned this the hard way, though I have to say the resulting Mustard Porter was pretty snappy. The hops juxtaposed against the horseradish was very nice, though possibly a touch out of the style guidelines.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #112
Dan2539
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaccool

You have to unscrew the temp control box from the fridge by removing the 3 screws and then pull the temp dial out (the temp dial just pulls out. At that point carefully examine the device and you will see a screw, unplug the fridge before you do this or be very careful of the electrical leads a you examine the device. If you turn the screw clockwise or tighten it the fridge will get warmer, counter clockwise or loosen and it will get colder. I left my temp regulator dangling until I got the temp to where I desired.

John M.
Thanks John. Ill look into possibly modifying the thermostat in conjunction to using a temp controller to hit lower temps when I wish.
A word of warning though, unlike Star-San or Idophor, Dijon Mustard is NOT a no-rinse sanitizer. I learned this the hard way, though I have to say the resulting Mustard Porter was pretty snappy. The hops juxtaposed against the horseradish was very nice, though possibly a touch out of the style guidelines.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #113
dbatech99
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblowers View Post
I received one of these for Christmas. I think the compressor is very loud when running (knocking/pinging). It's much louder than mini fridges's I've had. Hopefully they are not all like this...
Mine is. Way too loud and rattley for the location I have it (which is pretty much the only location).

I'm thinking of going with a better quality unit. Mine's too loud.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #114
OmahaVike
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
I'm confounded by this thing. Where is the set screw? This is my first keg system and I cannot figure this out.
Check page 4 of this thread. I have posted some photos of the assembly and screw.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #115
Dan2539
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbatech99

Mine is. Way too loud and rattley for the location I have it (which is pretty much the only location).

I'm thinking of going with a better quality unit. Mine's too loud.
I don't know if its a quality control issue with these compressors or if if its just a result of Walmart's terrible shipping practices. I myself had a slight dent on the side of my unit when it arrived but many people spoke of the unit being very badly dented. My compressor seems to work ok, just too much. I'm incorporating a blower fan and a Johnson controller to help resolve some of this. The door seals seem tight.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #116
dbatech99
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I think for the price it is qc issues. Mine didn't have a dent from shipping, but the door has a huge shallow wave that reflects a distortion. Doesn't look good. I would be happy if the compressor didn't sound like a small aircraft. LOL.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #117
Jsherm007
Recipes 

I'm still having issues with this kegerator.. I have adjusted the temperature by getting the thermostat out from behind the coils, it's at 35F now given the water glass inside and thermometer. I have the standard beer line that came with it and a 1/4 barrel Yeungling keg. I have a tower cooler fan too.

I went to the local brew supply store to buy longer line, I've heard this can help, the masters there said to turn down the PSI to 6. I get a mostly decent pour from this but I'm at 30% head on most pours. But the beer coming out looks foamy. I see bubbles in the line inside too. There was one time when I was messing with thermostat and froze the keg, ironically the time that happened the beer pour of what was in the line was perfect (still at 6 PSI). The keg has since thawed and pressurized at 6 PSI.

Previously I had issues when temp was in the high 30's / low 40's and I had PSI's in the 10-12 range and it was ALL FOAM, I probably wasted 1/2 a keg of beer that time. So things are better now, but I'm not happy yet. Suggestions?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #118
jmaccool
Recipes 

Default Mmmmmmmmmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsherm007 View Post
I'm still having issues with this kegerator.. I have adjusted the temperature by getting the thermostat out from behind the coils, it's at 35F now given the water glass inside and thermometer. I have the standard beer line that came with it and a 1/4 barrel Yeungling keg. I have a tower cooler fan too.

I went to the local brew supply store to buy longer line, I've heard this can help, the masters there said to turn down the PSI to 6. I get a mostly decent pour from this but I'm at 30% head on most pours. But the beer coming out looks foamy. I see bubbles in the line inside too. There was one time when I was messing with thermostat and froze the keg, ironically the time that happened the beer pour of what was in the line was perfect (still at 6 PSI). The keg has since thawed and pressurized at 6 PSI.

Previously I had issues when temp was in the high 30's / low 40's and I had PSI's in the 10-12 range and it was ALL FOAM, I probably wasted 1/2 a keg of beer that time. So things are better now, but I'm not happy yet. Suggestions?
I have very little issues with my keg, the only thing I did was get the thermostat issue worked out and I placed a copper pipe over the beer line to keep it cool. I have very little foam and none after the first pour when my friends and I are drinking enough that the beer line cannot get warm at all. If I had a tower cooler it would be even better but the copper pipe made a real difference. I can only say obviously make sure you are pouring correctly and keep lowering the PSI by very little at a time until it stops being so foamy. Do you know how to pour a beer? Not trying to be funny, if you have never been shown you might be doing it wrong. Go look online for a video unless you know what you are doing.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #119
Dan2539
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsherm007

Did you buy 3/16" line? That's what I'm using and what most keggerator systems should use. With ten foot coiled at the bottom of the fridge, I have almost no issues with foaming at 12 PSI serving pressures.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #120
Dan2539
Recipes 

I should say I'm running ten foot overall. The majority of the run is coiled at the bottom since the change in elevation also has an effect on foaming.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connec...draft-systems/

Quick Reply