New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Igloo Kegerator at Walmart - $369

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #91
Jsherm007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Temp actually has risen from 39 to 43. What could be going on? If I'm turning screw and getting the frost did I go too far? How is it getting warmer! I have a pint of water in bottom middle of fridge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #92
Dan2539
Recipes 

Hmm haven't made any mods to my thermostat control and I'm still getting 38 degree liquid temps. I added 10 feet of 3/16" tubing to combat the foaming issues I've encountered. Made a big difference from what appears to be about 4-5 feet the thing came with.

A word of warning though, unlike Star-San or Idophor, Dijon Mustard is NOT a no-rinse sanitizer. I learned this the hard way, though I have to say the resulting Mustard Porter was pretty snappy. The hops juxtaposed against the horseradish was very nice, though possibly a touch out of the style guidelines.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #93
Dan2539
Recipes 

I have gotten frost on my coils but that's when I'm constantly opening and closing the door while working on it. My kitchen can get pretty cold at times which might explain why I'm getting better temperatures without any adjustments to the thermostat unit.

A word of warning though, unlike Star-San or Idophor, Dijon Mustard is NOT a no-rinse sanitizer. I learned this the hard way, though I have to say the resulting Mustard Porter was pretty snappy. The hops juxtaposed against the horseradish was very nice, though possibly a touch out of the style guidelines.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #94
Jsherm007
Recipes 

Thanks for replies! I'm sure my frost is due to opening and closing. My room temp is about 72-74F so not above normal I don't think.

I just poured a flat 80% foam beer. The keg has been at 12PSI for past 16 hours, and temp looks to be right at 39F. Can I re-carb this beer?? Ugh. I am looking now for 10ft beer lines as mentioned in other reply.

Am I turning the screw the correct way to lower temp, I'm turning clockwise, and I would guess it's in the 4-6 turn from stock at this point.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #95
Dan2539
Recipes 

I'm pouring just around 9 PSI at about 38-40 degrees. Still getting some foam with the tubing that could be attributed a bit to the uneven cooling of the tower but perhaps the faucets too. A few posts ago I mentioned I was working on converting it to a double faucet setup. That's still in the works so ill keep you posted. I've heard some people claim that having a 1/4" faucet shank works better to cut down on foaming than 3/16" on the shank and the lines. The shank I picked up is 1/4" and am planning on upgrading to Perlicks. (Possibly flow controls, although I wish they were made in stainless)

Old 01-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #96
Dan2539
Recipes 

You should be able to recarb it just fine if you keep it at the right pressure and temps. Might have to guestimate it off the style if its a commercial beer that doesn't let you know the carbonation levels. The new beer line will really help you get the serving and carbonation pressures close to the same. I have to pour on a pretty severe angle with the current stock faucet to avoid foam.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #97
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Out of stock Online!

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #98
OmahaVike
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I rigged up a computer case fan to hang from the ceiling and pointed it at the cooling plate to circulate the cool air. I still get ice on my coils too, but I defrost after every keg change, so I don't get too worried about it.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #99
jmaccool
Recipes 

Default Issues

The first issue I am hearing is the cooling one, I took the temp gauge out from behind the "cooling Panel" which is really the freezer basket which in most mini fridges just straightened out and screwed into the back wall. This gives the temp regulating device a very unrealistic reading. If you do put it in the middle of the fridge or in a glass of liquid to get what the beer temp might be that will drop the temp guaranteed. The one crux is that this might make it get to cold. I do not have the red version screw on my fridge but I turn mine counter clockwise for cold and clockwise for warmer temps. I did find out that the Wal-Mart Igloo is a dupe or clone of another fridge whose name I cannot remember at this moment so perhaps you got that variant. Either way the fridge works fine but is probably a bit of an energy hog for its size. Problem 2 foaming. I used the copper pipe trick and it worked fairly well, cheap, easy and effective compared to the alternative. I cannot speak about line lengths because I do not know enough about this. I can say that I have read numerous times that it has a very big effect on how well the kegs work and in foam reduction. I would personally work on getting the temp correct then try the copper pipe trick that I put in this thread (9 bucks to make this happen). Once both the temp and the pipe are done you should have very little issues beyond possible replacing the tubing but I have not needed to as of yet. I now get great poors with very little head other than what I allow during the pooring process. Good luck!

Last edited by jmaccool; 01-04-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Made s bit more specific

Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #100
Jsherm007
Recipes 

thanks jmaccool for the direction on the screw, I will do about 7 revolutions the other way to undo my warming then and be ~3 revs to the cooler side.

Is anyone not happy with the Sankey valve that comes with this unit? I've read this can be a foam issue too. I dialed my PSI back to 6 per the local brew store employee and after a pitcher or two I'm about 40% foam so I'm a lil happier after that adjustment.

Quick Reply