Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > If I was just starting out, I would go with these kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #21
WissaBrewGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would be skeptical about the PET plastic. Typical reusable food grade containers are HDPE. PET is the plastic the you can't leave in the car or sun for too long or it will leech into the liquid. I'm fine with using HDPE buckets and other things but PET is not ok in my book. Not all plastics are the same.

Success is buried in the garden of failure - Rick Wakeman

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WissaBrewGuy View Post
I would be skeptical about the PET plastic. Typical reusable food grade containers are HDPE. PET is the plastic the you can't leave in the car or sun for too long or it will leech into the liquid. I'm fine with using HDPE buckets and other things but PET is not ok in my book. Not all plastics are the same.
PET and the water bottle in the hot car is an urban legend promulgated in e-mails and on websites like this.

Even if it was true, I just don't see leaving my kegged beer in a hot car for so long that the beer itself would becomes warm.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #23
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19312 View Post
PET and the water bottle in the hot car is an urban legend promulgated in e-mails and on websites like this.

Even if it was true, I just don't see leaving my kegged beer in a hot car for so long that the beer itself would becomes warm.
There have been real studies on this. While what you're saying is true, that antimony leaching for brief storage even at heat was not enough to trip acceptable health levels, long term storage (11 months at ROOM TEMPERATURE) was enough to put it outside the safety zone. It's fact that chemicals DO leach from PET, the question is how much.

I wouldn't want to store beer in these for a long time. Here is the link backing up my statements:
Journal of Environmental Monitoring Issue 4, 2012 http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/Artic...d#!divAbstract

Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #24
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Yep, and aluminum pots will give you Alzheimer's. There are studies, dammit!

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #25
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

BTW, I apologize for my sarcasm, but I'm not too worried about these things exploding, leaching chemicals or turning into flesh eating zombies, which I assume will be the next claim.

There are plenty of things to kill me in this world that I worry about. PET bottles are not one of those things.

As I said before, I have no dog in this fight other than I think these are a good idea and an alternative to the elusive affordable corny keg.

Buy them if you want or don't because,

http://youtu.be/eu15ApoD72A

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

Quote:

Old 10-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #26
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 309

what other fittings would you need to get up and running with this keg?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #27
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

All you would need is a Sankey coupler. I have a few of them. New they run about $20 to $35 or so, but they show up on Craig's List all the time for a lot less.

Quote:

Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm not able to get concerned about the PET bottles leaching antinomy. These types of bottles are everywhere already - must be a couple dozen different products in my kitchen alone packed in PET. I'd guess even if there is an issue the surface area to volume ratio would swing so far with these kegs as to reduce it back to non-issue. (the cited paper noted that larger fills were associated with less leaching)

As for price I just have never ever ever seen a used corny keg for $30. Usually a lot more like $65, maybe $55 if I buy 4 at a time, and new ones are more like $120+.

Exactly as the OP stated...I am just starting out. No investment in any fittings yet. I really like the idea of being able to use an off the shelf kegerator for my home-brew, or alternatively if I build a custom kegerator, I like the idea that I could easily use it to serve commercial beer (craft of BMC).

I think this idea has merit and am waiting to hear from the early adopters to see if they have problems with durability. I do really like the idea of the inner bottle being replaceable.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #29
BeerGrylls

Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Well we can all agree that consumer choice is a wondrous thing.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #30
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I'll pass on a $60 plastic bucket, stainless conies are cheaper, more durable and have a smaller footprint.

Quick Reply