I Want To Get Into Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OctoBrew

Reaction score
Hey HBT so my friend asked me to prepare a couple of batches of beer for a party that he's having. I was thinking like 3 batches (15 Gallons). I have only bottled and have only done extract batches. I want to have the beer on tap (mainly as an excuse to get into kegging) so I'm wondering what keg setup I should get. An equipment kit from Midwest or get things individually?I also wanted a two tap kegerator. Also which recipe kits preferably from Midwest should I get that is a good solid beer that will be good for everyone? Thanks in advance for help!

I also have all the basic brewing equipment for extract brewing including a 15 gallon boilmaker

It really depends on how much money you want to spend and how much time you have. If you have a nice sized budget and not a lot of time, I would opt for buying a kegerator. You can look at beveragefactory.com or see if you can find one for sell on Craigslist. I bought a two tap kegerator from Beveragefactory.com that was large enough to fit a commerical keg and a homebrew keg. They had it on my front door in about 2 weeks and took about an hour to assemble.

The other option is to find a good craigslist freezer online and buying the parts to build a kegerator yourself.

Cost:

$100 Used Freezer
$60 Regulator
$200 (4 X $50) Kegs
$80 5# CO2 Tank
$20 Hoses
$50 Quick Connects

You might find cheaper parts here and there, and you might spend more depending on exactly what you want. I think I estimated about $300 for a 2 tap kegerator collecting used parts as much as possible when shopping for a couple of friends.

If you are going to buy your kegging equipment new, I can't suggest kegconnection.com enough. They are the best prices and their customer services is top notch.

Hey HBT so my friend asked me to prepare a couple of batches of beer for a party that he's having. I was thinking like 3 batches (15 Gallons). I have only bottled and have only done extract batches. I want to have the beer on tap (mainly as an excuse to get into kegging) so I'm wondering what keg setup I should get. An equipment kit from Midwest or get things individually?I also wanted a two tap kegerator. Also which recipe kits preferably from Midwest should I get that is a good solid beer that will be good for everyone? Thanks in advance for help!

If you end up going the keezer/fridge conversion route, this is the kind of kit you'd want to consider: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kit-2-tap-fridge-homebrew/

Or a two tap tower kit if you want a tower on top of a mini-fridge: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kit-2-tap-beer-tower-homebrew/

As far as recipe kits, if you're trying to appeal to the masses, maybe stick to something with low bitterness, like a blonde or maybe an amber.

If you are going to buy your kegging equipment new, I can't suggest kegconnection.com enough. They are the best prices and their customer services is top notch.

+1 for keg connection. I just purchased my kegging setup from them and they were by far the best pricing I could find. I'm set up for a two keg system and am planning on using party taps and a mini fridge which might be a good route for you too. They're portable and cheaper than a full size kegerator, though you may need two for a three keg setup.

As for Midwest kits to brew for people, I would go with a variety of easy drinkers. Blonde Ale, Copper Ale, and Autumn Amber Ale are all good beers that I think would make a decent variety for a party.

Not only are you going to need a home chilling/kegging setup, you'll also need to be able to transport and rig up your dispensing at the party.

Be aware that when you transport a keg, all of the gunk that has settled to the bottom will get re-suspended in the beer and make it cloudy. Tell your buddy that he needs to provide you with a fridge to store the 3 kegs for the week prior so that the trub will have a chance to settle again.

Also, that way you can simply move the already-chilled kegs into some big plastic trash cans with ice, hook up a CO2 tank through a reg and manifold, and run 3 picnic taps with about 8-10ft of line each. It's wise to just have you and 1-2 trusted helpers keep filling labelled pitchers off the taps and let people pour their beer from the pitchers. If you let everyone near your taps and reg, no telling how they'll mess it up. Most folks don't know to properly use a tap (like an on-off switch). They'll try to crack it open just a bit and get a glass of foam.

The party is at my house and it's a nice party. No garbage cans. Haha and so I saw the chest freezer on amazon that I commented about before and I'm wondering what else I would need to turn that into a noce setup

The party is at my house and it's a nice party. No garbage cans. Haha and so I saw the chest freezer on amazon that I commented about before and I'm wondering what else I would need to turn that into a noce setup

Ah, that makes it much easier. You can turn a chest freezer into a keezer simply by adding a 2x6 or 2x8 collar.

Or, you can try to make it look like a nice piece of furniture (and make SWMBO happy) like this in my game room -

handleson_zpsd8d6d2ad.jpg

I got my hardware from Brian at www.birdmanbrewing.com and would highly recommend him.

Not only are you going to need a home chilling/kegging setup, you'll also need to be able to transport and rig up your dispensing at the party.

Be aware that when you transport a keg, all of the gunk that has settled to the bottom will get re-suspended in the beer and make it cloudy. Tell your buddy that he needs to provide you with a fridge to store the 3 kegs for the week prior so that the trub will have a chance to settle again.

Also, that way you can simply move the already-chilled kegs into some big plastic trash cans with ice, hook up a CO2 tank through a reg and manifold, and run 3 picnic taps with about 8-10ft of line each. It's wise to just have you and 1-2 trusted helpers keep filling labelled pitchers off the taps and let people pour their beer from the pitchers. If you let everyone near your taps and reg, no telling how they'll mess it up. Most folks don't know to properly use a tap (like an on-off switch). They'll try to crack it open just a bit and get a glass of foam.

This is true however if you are lucky enough to have multiple kegs and one is empty then you can prevent that sediment. Hook up jumper cables (Google how to jump a keg) and transfer your sediment free beer to your empty keg. You just have to stop flow before you get to the very bottom.

Another option is to buy an old 18 cu fridge. No regulators or collars needed. Just drill the holes for the taps in the side of the fridge.

If you want to get into kegging. Buy some kegs and get into kegging.

Not sure what you're wanting here.

@Bigfloyd. How did you do that?

Please don't take this the wrong way but just like your other thread on how to upgrade your brewery a lot of the questions your asking would be easily answered by a search.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&source=android-browser&hl=en-US&q=keezer+build[/ame]

Search keywords like keezer, kegerator.

@Bigfloyd. How did you do that?

I disassembled an old 11ft long church pew that we had for many years and planed the boards to make them uniform thickness. A friend and I then took that wood (3/4" solid oak) and made a casing to go around the front and both sides of the chest freezer (which has a 2x8 collar).

We added a layer of 3/4" scrap wood to the lid with construction adhesive. I tiled over it and added the trim from the pew. It was a lot of work, but I'm pleased with the result.

Craigslist and a keezer like floyd's from a freezer. Awesome setup you got floyd. You can find both on there pretty easily or post in the wanted like I did. I posted in half of pa and got lucky and got 12 ball locks and a commercial 6 way soda gun for 200.

Btw I only got 2 responses from half a state in the first 2 weeks. Just be patient and you should get a deal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I'd check out this link for the CO2 tank:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/40-20-co2-tanks-415193/

You can get a 20# CO2 tank for $68 shipped and he seems to be really good about shipping too.

This SSCOTTY??? Yeah... he's a great guy and I got a 20# steel tank delivered yesterday. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world (unlike my 5# CO2 tank I got brand new! :D) but who cares since I'll probably do a swap. :)

Ah, that makes it much easier. You can turn a chest freezer into a keezer simply by adding a 2x6 or 2x8 collar.

Or, you can try to make it look like a nice piece of furniture (and make SWMBO happy) like this in my game room -

handleson_zpsd8d6d2ad.jpg

I got my hardware from Brian at www.birdmanbrewing.com and would highly recommend him.

That's about as nice of a kegorator as I've seen. What kind of freezer do you have in there? Did you build a collar for it?

That's about as nice of a kegorator as I've seen. What kind of freezer do you have in there? Did you build a collar for it?

It's an old GE 7.0cf that we had in the garage. It was my first fermenter chamber (with STC-1000) until I got an upright freezer for that. It does have a 2x8 pine collar.

Im so jealous floyd, but at least I know what my 27cf freezer is going to look like once it gets replace with some uprights

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I support Keg Connection. Great equipment, good upgrades available, great service, fully assembled.

My second piece of advice is to call them to place your order. Ask your questions, get the perfect setup.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Home Brew mobile app

My second piece of advice is to call them to place your order. Ask your questions, get the perfect setup.

Most of the setups come with 5ft 3/16" beer lines. Have them upgrade that to 12ft 3/16" lines for just a few bucks more. You will be very glad that you did.

I support Keg Connection. Great equipment, good upgrades available, great service, fully assembled.

+1 on calling them. My stuff is on its way and should arrive next week. In the meantime a (perhaps dumb) question for you experienced keggers:

When moving your beer from the carboy to the keg do you just pour it in via a funnel or do you do a careful slow siphon transfer to avoid oxidation?

Most of the setups come with 5ft 3/16" beer lines. Have them upgrade that to 12ft 3/16" lines for just a few bucks more. You will be very glad that you did.

That is one thing I wish I had done. When I first started kegging I just used picnic taps for about a year. I didn't really have any problems until I upgraded to faucets. Had to replace all my 5ft lines with 10 ft.

Back