Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I think I'm ready to start kegging HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1073 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default I think I'm ready to start kegging HELP

Well, I thought I'd make the switch to all grain before I started kegging, but I'm my last nerve with cleaning and capping bottles.

This isn't the usual "how do I keg?" post because I've read enough to know what I need to do. However, I'm not making a kegerator but rather would like to store the cornies in a fridge in the basement and run the beer line/lines up into my kitchen countertop. The fridge will be directly below as to minimize the length and non refrigerated line. The big question is, given a run of at least 10 feet, am I better off grabbing a longer length of 1/4" and dialing in from there or will 10 feet of 3/16" be too long for a balanced system?

Are there any other pitfalls? I figure about 8' of exposed or non-cooled beer line, which I suppose I'd wrap with pipe insulation. I think with 1/4", that's about 5 cubic inches of beer that could potentially be "warm" at the beginning of a session. But that's less than 3oz and it would probably only make a 16oz pour only slightly warmer than the next.

Thoughts?

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply