Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I think I'm missing something about the Beer Gun -- is it really this simple?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
Geordan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default I think I'm missing something about the Beer Gun -- is it really this simple?

I know a lot of folks say the Blichmann Beer Gun "isn't as easy as it looks," but in the Youtube videos I've looked up, and at the brewery last week watching them fill with one, it looks like a dead easy solution -- no foaming, even if the bottles and gun aren't kept perfectly chilled. Meanwhile, I've been futzing around with my picnic tap/air needle/bottling wand contraption for a few months, and I find it a bit irritating; I've now had three picnic taps from two different stores start leaking after a use or two, making it impossible to use for bottling -- the small leak keeps letting pressure into the bottle, and you just can't get a "perfect" fill. Makes bottling for a comp frustrating.

As far as I can tell, if you omit the CO2 aspect of the beer gun, it's just a bottling wand with a trigger valve. I already flush my bottles with CO2 and a spare air line, so would a racking cane, valve contraption and disconnect not do more or less the same thing?

Or, should I just pony up to $100 and buy the Beer Gun?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

If your only filling a couple of bottle, then use BM's beer gun. If your doing several sixers or more of bottles. Pony up for the beer gun. The thing is easy to use, just a slight pain in the arse to set up and dissasemble.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
BulldogBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I used our clubs the blichman a few weeks ago to free up a few kegs. After about 3 cases worth of bottles. I'm sold and will likely buy my own. Dead simple, easy to setup and clean, and I get excellent bottle conditions and no loss of carbonation!

Bottle: Apfelwein, Cranegranate Apfelwein
On Deck: Sweet Stout

Quote:
Let me bring you up to speed, we know nothing... You are now up to speed.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 123

I borrowed a friends Beer Gun a couple months ago. I was only filling 10 bottles, but the BG worked amazingly well. I already have a spare gas line that was easy to hook up to. I'll definitely be getting my own in the near future.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Quick Reply