Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I need a kegerator-Brand recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default I need a kegerator-Brand recommendations

I've searched for 3 months looking for a used kegerator or small fridge I can convert and either someone beats me to craigslist or the one's for sale are junk.
So, I've saved some $$$ and may just buy one. Actually, based on some I've seen (dual faucets) they are only a bit more than what I could do myself and they come with a warranty. With a birthday coming up, the wife thinks I should get serious and get one. Why would I argue with that?
So, for those that bought vs. built their own, what are your brand recommendations and the best place to buy them? I don't need fancy and I don't want one with an airplane engine sound.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts

I built my own so can't help you with the brand piece. But, if you have a smart phone you can download a craigslist app to crawl craigslist and then alert you when something matches your search criteria. I've gotten several fridges and cornies this way.

That way you can call them within 5 minutes of it being posted.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Beer-lord

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I have an android......there are sooo many apps, which one is it that you use?
Thanks

Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I want to build a keezer for myself but since I have no room for it I got this kegerator.
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...product-detail

It works really well. I changed the beer and gas lines. Btw its very quiet. Its a good buy overall

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 05-20-2012, 02:57 AM   #5
aukerns08
Recipes 

I was in the same situation you described so I started looking for new chest freezers at low prices and it can be done. I just bought a Haier 7.0 cu ft chest freezer from the local Costco for $174.99 which I thought was a nice price. I added a collar made of 2x6s and put 3 taps on it, three kegs fit comfortably with the CO2 tank and if I wanted to I could squeeze in a 4th or a smaller 3 gallon keg on the hump. The freezer and materials for collar cost me $200 - $225, getting all the other hardware, kegs, taps and tank is another story and I didn't really track that expense probably more than SWMBO wants to know.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
outside92129

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

a single sanke kegerator from costco is $400 w/o perlicks, and throw in another $50-$100 to bring up to homebrewing standards (2 corny kegs). Or go to CL and get a used fridge and get the parts to have 4 cornys on tap... ~$300.

Quick Reply