Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I must be doing something wrong w/ my kegs...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

My 2cents says that setting to 12psi right now MIGHT get your beer up to an acceptable carb level by Friday night but certainly not in 48 hours. I would hit them with 30psi on Wed night, shake until no more gas goes in, then let it sit until the morning at 30psi (about 8-10 hours at that pressure). Then turn it back to 12psi and leave it alone until the party. Then purge it down to 5-6psi for serving.

Everyone is right though, aging happens through time and it just so happens that bottle conditioned beer ends up being aged to the bare minimum just as it fully carbs. In kegging, restraint must be self inflicted.

The Best Bitter I just brewed on 4/6/08 JUST started tasting right and it's been in the keg for 5 weeks.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
bigben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Maybe you should try hooking the keg up to CO2 at serving pressure and letting it sit for a week, rather than shaking it...see if there's a difference.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It sounds like he's open for that idea but in a pinch for this coming weekend. Leaving it at serving pressure at this point is going to leave flat beer.

I have a theory as to why beer seems to go down hill in taste temporarily just after carbing it. First, the traditional idea is that some carbonic acid is formed in the process which eventually dissipates.. I buy that. I also think carbonation tends to accentuate certain flavors in a beer and that includes that "green" flavor.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply