LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #81
atreid
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

When I drink a beer, I always rinse it like mad 3-4 times with hot water and check it for stuck debris or yeast. This way I never have to clean them and I can use the Vinator with a bottle tree in about 15 minutes for 45 bottles. I use OxySan and push the Vinator at least 5-6-7 times per bottle.

500ml bottles are heavy enough to let the filler in without fear to tip it off and big enough to leave me enough time to take the previous bottle, pick a SANITIZED cap from a little 2-cup tupperware full of OxySan, and bench-cap the bottle before the filling is over on the next one. Of course that implies my bottling bucket is on a higher ground so that I can work at my level and let the filling bottle sit on the table.

It works with 330ml bottle but I have to work very fast and the bottle can tip off so I'm thinking of something to secure the bottle being filled. A simple rolled towel might do the trick...

I don't like the action of bottling but I love bottled beers and how much better a strong beer can age in bottles...

B-)

(for the few "unproper" bottles, I just clean them with a 24h soak in oxyclean like everyone else)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #82
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
Bottling sucks..Why fill 50, when you fill one. I have a bottle filler and fill some once in a while, but Kegging is where it's at....
How well does your keg system serve saison at 3.5-4 volumes CO2? My bottling routine is rather streamlined and I can keg up 12 gal of a beer with a friend in VERY short order. Then again I use pressurized bottling with a keg and turn my regulator way down and keep a constant flow on my bottling wand. In addition I use a bottling tree with a vinator for sanitizing the bottles which makes bottling that much easier. I use kegs for bottling and I have found that cleaning the keg and ensuring it's properly sanitized/clean is a majority of my setup for bottling. Plus bottling makes it easier to age beers longterm.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #83
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
How well does your keg system serve saison at 3.5-4 volumes CO2? Plus bottling makes it easier to age beers longterm.
If I ever serve that style, I'll let you know..I have a chest freezer for conditioning 6 kegs at a time. No worries about aging. Plus, the beers I brew don't need to be lagered longer that 2 or 3 months..

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 12-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #84
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
If I ever serve that style, I'll let you know..I have a chest freezer for conditioning 6 kegs at a time. No worries about aging. Plus, the beers I brew don't need to be lagered longer that 2 or 3 months..
Decoctions are easy but bottling is a PITA? Different strokes for different folks.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #85
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well that does illustrate a huge difference between the "I hate bottling" crowd and the "I love bottling crowd". I have a feeling the keggers most typically make standard English, German and American styles of beers. I make lots of Belgian beers and sours. So bottling is almost a necessity to me because I don't need/want a keg of 11% dark strong. However having three cases of bottles is just fine in my book.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

TNGabe Likes This 
Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #86
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
How well does your keg system serve saison at 3.5-4 volumes CO2?
Secondary regulator

Set one to 3.5-4 and the other to your normal carb level, maybe 2.5ish.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #87
Yesfan

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 197

I ordered me three cases of 22 oz bombers, so I should be in good shape for my next two batches to bottle next weekend.

Bottled: Dead Ringer IPA, Keeler's Reverse Burster Altbier, Edwort's Apfelwein (1G), cranberry/raspberry "wein" (1G), Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (2G), Petite Saison d'Ete, St Paddy's Irish Stout, Rum Runner Stout (1G), La Petite Orange, Chocolate Milk Stout
Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 12-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #88
jammin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I started off keggging and have really got into bottling lately.

I agree with the OP, there is something very satisfying about bottling. It's quite rewarding to patiently let the bottles carb and condition. Hearing that hiss when they open. Every bottle seems like a little bit more of a treat than pulling a pint from the keg. It's a bit of an art to nail the carbonation as well.

Cheers!

Old 12-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #89
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Well that does illustrate a huge difference between the "I hate bottling" crowd and the "I love bottling crowd". I have a feeling the keggers most typically make standard English, German and American styles of beers. I make lots of Belgian beers and sours. So bottling is almost a necessity to me because I don't need/want a keg of 11% dark strong. However having three cases of bottles is just fine in my book.
I have a couple 5 Belgian beer 1 lambic, 2 saisons, 1 double, 1 triple. Not a issue as I have 12 taps. Not against bottling just have things I would rather do then bottle, as long as your making beer that's what matters

Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #90
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

I bottle a lot more than I keg

Quick Reply