Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I love bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #91
Frogmanx82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Kegging is just too much more crap to buy. Not going to do it.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #92
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
That's what you say now but wait til they got you by the tadpoles... then ye be pullin out teh ribbit card.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #93
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
Was just thinking of this today. I started brewing by making kit beers to save money. Now all I do is plot ways to spend the money I'm saving on beer making "stuff".

Bottles are cheap, hose, wand, auto-syphon and caps are cheap. Win-win.

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #94
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTownLiquorPig View Post
Was just thinking of this today. I started brewing by making kit beers to save money. Now all I do is plot ways to spend the money I'm saving on beer making "stuff".

Never went the kit route saw the cost of a kit vs. brew from recipes.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #95
HollisBT
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTownLiquorPig

Cost wise, compared to my brewing equipment, the keg kit was a drop in the bucket...

I really do enjoy bottling, but currently I have 3 beers ready to either keg or bottle, and two kegs that won't even fit in my kegerator which can hold a total of 5 kegs. If I had to bottle all of that, I think that I would lose the enjoyment of bottling.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #96
Yesfan

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 213

There is a lot of upfront cost to kegging (kegerator/keezer, kegs, taps, etc.), but I think it is worth those costs in the long run. I (somewhat) have a bar downstairs, so a kegerator with a few taps is definitely a must have for me in the future. The downside to kegging is it's not as portable as a 6/12 pack of bottles. I'll keep bottling for that reason.

They both have their pros and cons. I enjoy bottling as I find it relaxing. Last night, I bottled my Phat Tyre clone while jamming out to some Rush on the stereo.

"There is no right way to brew. The journey to finding out what works best for you is 99% of the hobby. Ethanol is the other 1%" - Bobby M

Old 12-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #97
beaksnbeer

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I have 2 three gallon kegs, that I can take a keg to go or bottle a few from the kegs if it's just for my own consumption.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #98
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is turning into another bottle vs keg threads. I think they both have advantages and if you don't do both there's nothing wrong, I just think you kinda handcuff yourself. For example, if I was trying to brew a Belgian clone, it makes sense to bottle condition to get the same authentic experience. Now if I'm making a Munich Helles and I want it crystal clear with no sediment, a keg gives you more versatility. You can cold crash and draw off the yeast and then bottle or even filter. They both have their place and to dismiss one or the other seems silly.

Starter??? I don't even know her!
People Like This 
Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #99
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I bottle off a keg even for bottle conditioned beers. I sani and fill a 10gal corny and use a home made bottling wand attachment that works off a threaded ball lock fitting. It gives me consistent pressure and faster filling for bottle conditioned beers. Plus if I really wanted to get fancy I could hook up my beer gun up in the same fashion and purge the bottles in a similar fashion and still use a spring loaded tip somehow to fill the bottles. I haven't completely looked at that as a possibility yet but holding the beer gun to keg is a pain and I think a hard mount would greatly benefit me on a bottling day. I bottle condition everything except high abv stuff right now. I plan on doing a couple lagers this winter and will certainly use the beer gun and force carbing to bottle them though. It's funny that as a diehard bottling guy I have 98% of what I need for draft beer, I just never bought and installed a faucet.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #100
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2205 Times on 1493 Posts
Likes Given: 2240

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
This is turning into another bottle vs keg threads. I think they both have advantages and if you don't do both there's nothing wrong, I just think you kinda handcuff yourself. For example, if I was trying to brew a Belgian clone, it makes sense to bottle condition to get the same authentic experience. Now if I'm making a Munich Helles and I want it crystal clear with no sediment, a keg gives you more versatility. You can cold crash and draw off the yeast and then bottle or even filter. They both have their place and to dismiss one or the other seems silly.
Couldn't agree more....I never said anything bad about kegging and yet it's defenders have come forward to save us bottlers from our wicked ways!

Bottled 10 gallons yesterday, I think it took me 3 episodes of Dr Who, not coungting my nap in between batches. Did one batch in 12s and 22s, the other in .5L and 1l flip tops. The second batch is a saison, should be around 3.5 volumes CO2. Looking forward to hearing the 'pop' when I flip them open.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Quick Reply