Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I just poured 6 glasses of foam

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
cshann19
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I just poured 6 glasses of foam

Hello all, this is my first post but I have really enjoyed reading this site on saterday mornings while I watch our kids and let me wife sleep in.

So I was racking some beer this afternoon and thought I would have a few glasses off my kegs. I poured multiple glasses of straight foam from both kegs. I checked my gas pressure and it was at 28PSI. It was prevously set to 12-15PSI serving pressure. The question is, does the weather effect the pressure? A major storm kit us all week. Does the Baro pressure effect anything? And what can I do to get my kegs back? I bleed the pressure off. Is that going to get rid of the foam?

Thanks for the help
Larry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1229 Times on 994 Posts

A 13-16 psi shift is indicative of something functionally not up to par, not a weather change.

In two years of operating a six tap keezer and a year with a separate carbonation fridge - both with external CO2 tanks and regulators - I've very rarely had to adjust any regulator to maintain a specific set pressure, weather changes or no weather changes, and even those few times it was only for a pound or so...

Cheers!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

What regulator are you using? Sounds like you have something messing around with the diaphragm inside it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3298 Times on 2055 Posts
Likes Given: 2819

The quickest way to get rid of pressure is to hook the CO2 to the IN side and blow CO2 through the beer. This will scrub the CO2 out of the beer. It will also be a big foamy mess. I've never done this, but it's been mentioned on here before.

A slower but less messy way is to pull the pressure relief valve (if your kegs has one) and get the keg to room temp. As it warms up, it will give off a lot of CO2. After a day, close the PRV and get it cold again.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is what I've done several times and its always worked great. Disconnect the co2, bleed off all of the co2, you'll have to do this several times over a couple of hours. After the last bleed off, reconnect the co2 after you've confirmed that the dispensing pressure is set correctly. Wait a week until it recarbs to the correct pressure, or use the shake or roll method of force carbing. It sounds like something is messed up with your regulator.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Quick Reply