Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I cannot get my home brew to carbonate! :(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 983 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The temp of the beer will affect how much pressure you need to use. If you're getting freezing, it's probably running 30F or colder. In that case, 13psi is for over 3 volumes of CO2. It's not unheard of for wheat beers and fruit lambics, but I'd back off to about 10 psi. Also, you'll purge the carb level down quite a bit faster if you leave the gas disconnected after purging the head pressure.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1237 Times on 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The temp of the beer will affect how much pressure you need to use. If you're getting freezing, it's probably running 30F or colder. In that case, 13psi is for over 3 volumes of CO2. It's not unheard of for wheat beers and fruit lambics, but I'd back off to about 10 psi. Also, you'll purge the carb level down quite a bit faster if you leave the gas disconnected after purging the head pressure.
+1 Purging a keg with gas pressure still on it - even if it's just serving pressure - is kinda counterproductive - not to mention expensive...

Cheers!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
Daedalus
Recipes 

UPDATE: I seem to have pretty good carbonation now. Maybe a little too much that disperses pretty quick but it's still pretty good.

Now I cannot get my tap from foaming!

I have 5' perlick bev lines. Temp is cold. PSI is set to around 10. I also have 2 swizzle sticks in the dip tube.

I notice that when not pouring, my bev line is half foam, half liquid. Obviously when I do pour, it turns to all liquid.

From the spout end, it starts out as all foam. Then it'll go to liquid and sometimes back to foam. It's really annoying. I can only pour a 1/3 liquid 2/3rds foam beer (pint glass).

Any more tips?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Daedalus
Recipes 

Still having issues.

Help!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
blackbear219
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It sounds like your beer lines might be getting too warm. Is there a fan in your kegerator to circulate the cold air?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #16
Daedalus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbear219 View Post
It sounds like your beer lines might be getting too warm. Is there a fan in your kegerator to circulate the cold air?
No. Problem is that even after multiple glasses (or a pitcher), you'd think the liquid flowing through the lines would be cold enough since it's coming from the keg and not sitting in the lines.

Also I had issues with my lines freezing!

Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
UPDATE: I seem to have pretty good carbonation now. Maybe a little too much that disperses pretty quick but it's still pretty good.

Now I cannot get my tap from foaming!

I have 5' perlick bev lines. Temp is cold. PSI is set to around 10. I also have 2 swizzle sticks in the dip tube.

I notice that when not pouring, my bev line is half foam, half liquid. Obviously when I do pour, it turns to all liquid.

From the spout end, it starts out as all foam. Then it'll go to liquid and sometimes back to foam. It's really annoying. I can only pour a 1/3 liquid 2/3rds foam beer (pint glass).

Any more tips?
The line filling with gas when it's not in use suggests that it's still slightly overcarbed. Since you had an issue with frozen lines, that could be the problem also. A spot in the lines where the beer is partially frozen could cause a restriction and knock the co2 out of solution. If there are litle chunks of frozen beer in the system they could get lodged and cause a restriction as well. Other culprits could be a dirty faucet, small blockage in the faucet/shank/tailpiece, a bend/kink in the beverage line, or even improperly cleaned glassware. Maybe try bleeding a little more gas, and raising the temp a little or installing a fan to circulate air and prevent freezing.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #18
Daedalus
Recipes 

I think every one was right about the over carbonation. It's slowly getting better as i drink it and as I burp it daily.

Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply