Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I am DONE using DME for priming. Never again!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #21
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4603 Times on 4506 Posts
Likes Given: 2098

Ok phew! So the rest of us that use DME that we know the %AA of are fine to continue using DME as we always have without issue.

Glad we cleared that up.

Back to your rantings and ravings about poor general practices, then. Carry on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #22
chapa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk305 View Post
I like to boil my priming sugar in the microwave. It is very difficult to do that with DME because it will boil over. I only primed with DME a couple of times.
REALLY??!? I never thought of that! How long do you microwave? How much water do you usually use?
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 04-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #23
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 374

buy some kegs
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 04-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
Ok phew! So the rest of us that use DME that we know the %AA of are fine to continue using DME as we always have without issue.

Glad we cleared that up.

Back to your rantings and ravings about poor general practices, then. Carry on.
Sorry to seem to bring some drama or what-not to the forum, but why the rudeness and hostility? I did nothing to offend you. Yet you take a smack at me about my practice.

I bought my most recent bag of DME from the organic brew shop where I live. There was no %AA marking on it. Same with the bags of DME I get in the other brew shop I shop at, they are just marked by weight. So tell me where MY practice is poor.

I was tired of inconsistent batches due to not knowing the %AA of my DME as I shop locally (supporting local businesses). I am saying I am switching to a method that does not require such info. I figured I would give a post about it as I was frustrated at having a batch of beer that was way off on carbonation, and having just recently bottled a batch with knowing that the carb level is possibly going to not be where I want it to be as the DME I buy has no info.

I was sharing. I figured this forum was a place to share.

Leave your snide comments to yourself please.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #25
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Boy, I'd be shocked if there was enough of a variance in fermentability between different brands of DME where that's the cause of the gushers. How certain are you that you didn't bottle prematurely? That's a much more common cause (as is infections, although you didn't mention any off flavors).

The one brand of extract that was always different was Laaglander, but that was very low attenuation (~60%, IIRC) and I don't think it's being sold domestically any more.

But, I've never heard of anyone else complaining about different brands of DME causing a material difference in carbonation, not at the amounts that we're using. I'd be looking into the many other potential issues.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with table sugar, it's cheap and I'll be damned if I can tell a difference versus using DME... but I'd bet the real issue lies elsewhere.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #26
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Boy, I'd be shocked if there was enough of a variance in fermentability between different brands of DME where that's the cause of the gushers. How certain are you that you didn't bottle prematurely? That's a much more common cause (as is infections, although you didn't mention any off flavors).

The one brand of extract that was always different was Laaglander, but that was very low attenuation (~60%, IIRC) and I don't think it's being sold domestically any more.

But, I've never heard of anyone else complaining about different brands of DME causing a material difference in carbonation, not at the amounts that we're using. I'd be looking into the many other potential issues.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with table sugar, it's cheap and I'll be damned if I can tell a difference versus using DME... but I'd bet the real issue lies elsewhere.
The thing is, when I always got my DME from the same place I always had really good consistency. I think however the two types I get are a 55% and a 70% or 75%. When a calculator gives a difference of 2.5oz or so, that is cause for some significant carbonation variations.

And I will admit, part of it is the DME, part perhaps is not precise volume measurement of the beer I am bottling. Though a 5% difference in volume vs 40% priming sugar level is not as significant.

Wasn't a premature bottling, fermentation is well done by the time I bottle up, and the beer tastes great (no infection).

Again, when I moved I started getting stuff from an organic shop that didn't mark, so who knows how good that stuff is.

Long story short, I am going off of DME to make sure I am consistent, but I am not trying to steer other people clear of it. If you know your %AA, then by all means do it!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #27
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4603 Times on 4506 Posts
Likes Given: 2098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Yotie View Post
Sorry to seem to bring some drama or what-not to the forum, but why the rudeness and hostility? I did nothing to offend you. Yet you take a smack at me about my practice.
Sorry if it offends you, but it is very plainly related to the controls you place (or in this case, do not place) on your process. You made what turned out to be incorrect assumptions about the ingredients you were using. There are hundreds if not thousands of threads on this site where people rant and rave about certain ingredients or techniques that have caused them issues and swearing them off for this or that reason. Most of the time, it's user error.... A simple word of warning or buyer beware type of caution suffices without the whole "I'll never use DME again!" business.

Quick Reply